Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


car m o t .

Posted by baxi-666881 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by baxi-666881 - 8 years ago

thanks every - one done now .

Sorry no image available
Posted by connor-670505 - 8 years ago

If the mot has already expired and you wish to get it renewed telephone the mot test station and make an appointment for the test. If stopped by the police en route this can be verified by telling the police to contact the mot station.

Anyway, I was told by an mot tester/friend that you can actually make one journey direct to the test station even though your old mot certificate has expired.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kazanddave - 8 years ago

The MOT needs to be done before or on the due date,
If you are out of the country when the MOT is due, you will just have to run the risk of being pulled over whilst on the way to the MOT station.

Your road tax and insurance are deemed void if the car is has not got the MOT.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 8 years ago

Legally yes - same as circulation tax (road tax). Practicality no doubt depends on the officer that stops you (as with everything to do with the law here). If the vehicle is off the road there is the SORN equivalent here. Have not heard of any centrally issued fines (a la DVLC) - although the authorities definitely have the necessary information - valid MOT and Circulation tax/SORN details - and could implement centralised fines at any time - thus removing the need for roadside checks and the involvement of the police - but this is not currently the case as far as I know.