DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Car Rental with Learner's Driving License

Posted by a.b. - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by pav - 9 years ago

there are an awful lot of unqualified drivers out their driving without supervision.

if they drive without the proper supervision their insurance on the vehicle would be void thats presuming they have the vehicle insured with learner insurance, my guess would be they would be driving with no insurance/tax and possibly no mot.

a friend of ours recently passed her driving test and every learner driver that had access to their own vehicle at the driving school she attended drove themselves to their lessons unnacompanied.

a truly frightening thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paul.

Sorry no image available
Posted by a.b. - 9 years ago

Being a foreigner here I would not like to indulge in dealing with cops. This person is renting cars from this company every weekend, even yesterday. He's of legal age and also given insurance from the company, only that he is driving on a Learner license.

Sorry no image available
Posted by athosonline - 9 years ago

Call the cops, tell them the license plate and they should be able to immediate check on the company that owns the car if he rented it to someone with a valid insurance + driver's license. Driving in Cyprus is dangerous enough without people with no valid license and insurance renting cars...

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 9 years ago

Cyprus rules are the same as all country's rules - there to be followed. Doubt if there is ANY country in the world where one could legally rent a car on a learner's or provisional license and be validly covered by insurance. If you know of wrongdoing then for the sake of other road users I would suggest that you are duty bound to do something about it - and the person driving without insurance as well.

Sorry no image available
Posted by a.b. - 9 years ago

Thanks Athos, then Cypus rules are just for the sake of making rules.

I know someone who has been renting car from 2 rental companies in Limassol on a Learner's License and driving without anyone holding a valid license.

I had an argument so just wanted to be sure if it is legal or not.

Sorry no image available
Posted by athosonline - 9 years ago

No!. a learner's license is called a learner's license because you are supposed to have a teacher with you at all times. I believe in Cyprus you need to have someone who has a normal license in the front passenger seat whenever you are driving.
To rent a car, I believe there's an age limit imposed by the insurance company of each rental company, usually 25. And you need to have a valid driver's license.