DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

CY driving licence exchange for foreigners

Posted by Devonite-692897 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackofspades - 8 years ago

One more aspect:
When you exchange your license for a CY one, does it have the same validity as the other one or does it start "fresh" (10 years validity or how long it's valid here)

Also, what fees do they charge for the exchange ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 8 years ago

Two passports can only be held in either the case of dual nationality OR where travel may give rise to visa issues eg Israel and Arab states. So no, it is NOT possible to, in general, have two passports. Additionally, if you are resident in Cyprus then under UK law you would have broken the law by the fact that your licence does not show your 'current address' as is required by law. It is not possible to have a foreign address on a UK licence. As has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread the UK licence is returned to the issuing country.... When/if you return to the UK you will be REQUIRED to exchange your Cypriot licence for a UK one again once in the UK for more than I think 6 months. Playing the game of holding two licences or using Uk licence when Cypriot resident (or vice versa) is actually not legal!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by kciseddoh - 8 years ago

Steveh, Below is the requirement !

How to Exchange a Foreign Licence for a Cyprus Licence

Licence exchanges are managed by the Department of Road Transport (DoRT).

The following documents are required:

A completed TOM 7A application form available at the DoRT (in Greek) For an English translation: Click here(PDF) Two recent passport photographs Residence permit (formerly the alien registration card), original and photocopy Proof of at least six months of residence (such as utility bills) Passport (original and a photocopy of the personal details page) The original licence and two photocopies of all pages (the licence will have to be surrendered) If the licence is in a language other than Greek or English it must translated by the Press and Information Office (PIO) or the issuing country's Cyprus Embassy

Once all the relevant documents are assembled, they should be presented in person at the local district DoRT office for review and approval of the conversion.

Sorry no image available
Posted by steveh-698168 - 8 years ago

I think the question on this particular thread is being lost within the 'legality discussions!!!

I too am interested in the requirements for actually exchanging EU (UK) license

Sorry no image available
Posted by kciseddoh - 8 years ago

cosmipulsar, what you are suggesting is illegal and also attemting to defraud ! The EU law on drivers licence are quite clear. You are suppose to exchange your licence within 2 years for a local licence in the EU member state which you are resident.

As Andrewmoni rightly pointed out, all member states of the EU have an agreement, so when you exchange your licence, the orginal is return to the issuing country. By reporting your licence lost/ stollen to obatain a new one is fraud, because Cypriot authorites will return your licence to the issuing Country and they will report back to the Cypriots that licence has been reported lost/stollen ?? making your Cypriot licence invalid because you obtain it by deception. Which you can face prosecution.

The Cypriot licence is an EU licence, so using it abroad or exchanging back wthin the EU is not a problem.

Having 2 passports is not the same issue, nationality laws are diffrent from driving laws !

Sorry no image available
Posted by cosmicpulsar - 8 years ago

My point is that its best to have a 'proper' licence for when you go back to your own country be it for a holiday or for good. I'm not that bothered about having to have cypriot licence.... fair do's there, but having the two saves a lot of hassele. I cannot see why the cypriot authorities have to take your original one anyway. as long as you have shown it to prove you can drive legally then they can issue you with one of theirs. People can hold two passports can't they?

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 8 years ago

I think they are well within their rights under 'EU law' as surely one can only be resident in one country at a time, and SHOULD have a licence appropriate for the country where one is resident. They do exchange the licence here - and the UK would have to similarly exchange the Cyprus one back to a UK one if one retruned to the UK.

This is no doubt the reason why it is not possible to have an address outside the UK on a UK licence!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by cosmicpulsar - 8 years ago

Hi 'Devonite' You don't say which country you have come from before residing in Cyprus but the best thing to do before you 'Exchange' your EU driving licence is to inform your relevant office in the country you have come from and tell them you have lost/ destroyed by accident or have had your licence stolen and ask for another one. You'll have to do this through a third party of course from your home country. Keep the new one they issue you with and use the old one to exchange for a cypriot licence. Do not surrender your only EU licence to the cypriot authorities. (By asking for your EU licence in exchange I'm sure they are in breach of EU regulations.) As long as you have one from your relevant country it doesn't matter what they do with the other.

The road traffic office is up the Troodos road taking a signed right hand turn then a left up through a housing development.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Devonite-692897 - 8 years ago

oh, and one more thing where exactly is the Dept. of Road Transport in Limassol ?