Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


driving to the northern side

Posted by nat1310 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 9 years ago

I've heard other people say that, but I've never been asked for anything other than my passport. Maybe I've been lucky, or maybe it's because I almost always use the crossing point at Zodeia, where quite often ours is the only vehicle in sight. I have found that the SBA officers at the Agios Nikolaos crossing near Famagusta are much more thorough than the Cyprus police at Zodeia, too; they always seem to check that you're not carrying anything you shouldn't be, while at Zodeia you're generally just waved through.

Sorry no image available
Posted by djscot - 9 years ago

it can be advisable to take your vehicle registration document as I have been asked for this twice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Toni-680775 - 9 years ago

You will need to take a passport, they will issue you will a visa at the crossing. You will also have to buy 3rd party insurance at the crossing, this can be monthly, three monthly or annual cover. We have been across several times and have always found everyone to be very helpful and friendly. However as with all countries there are good and bad to be found anywhere, but we have never felt threatened in any way. The roads are generally good, but place names are in Turkish which may cause confusion. Prices in restaurants are cheaper and they do take Euros.