DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Driving to UK...any ideas?

Posted by algy-672408 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by baxi-666881 - 9 years ago

grimaldi sale from limassol to uk .

Sorry no image available
Posted by VinnyC-673555 - 9 years ago

Hi algy,
Ive done it, phelps is right about insurance and route planning, insurance is issued when you land in Turkey it was 25 euro for a month.
Dont want to bash on about the rights and wrongs so if you ring me on 99848917 we can chat.
Regards
Vinny

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

posted by ~~phelps

Or get get Grimaldi lines to ship your car to Brindisi and fly there to meet it.

Have Grimaldi started a service from Limassol to Brindisi now ? ~~ that would be much quicker than Limassol to Salerno.

Last time I checked Grimaldi's web site the ferries only ran to and from Salerno which I feel takes to long and is to expensive .

I would love to go touring around southern Italy again but sadly the only way seems to be flying to Milan or Rome and hire a car when I get there or take my car on the ferry to Salerno .

Bill

Sorry no image available
Posted by mather.catherine@yahoo.co.uk - 9 years ago

wow have you checked the charges to bring a car back to cyprus a2000 laguna will set you back 2000 euros without transport casts a kawasaki 750 value 2000 euros will cast you around 1800 euros withou transportation, al

Sorry no image available
Posted by sammie-667701 - 9 years ago

Hi, we are thinking of driving back to UK to bring back my car and my husbands motorbike, did you get much feed back from your question?????If you find anything out please let us know. thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by phelps - 9 years ago

It can be done but you need car insurance for Turkey. You need to check if you can buy this when you cross at the N Cyprus border or on arrival in Turkey. Your normal Cyprus insurance should cover you in all the other EU countries but again check with them.

Your route needs some careful planning. Do not go via Serbia, Croatia, Macedonia, FRJ the local police stop foreign cars for false reasons and fine them to increase their personal earnings.

The obvious most motorway route is Turkey/ Bulgaria/ Romania/ Hungary/ Austria/ Germany/ Belgium/ France

Or get get Grimaldi lines to ship your car to Brindisi and fly there to meet it.

Either way it is an expensive journey.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi Algy,

Personally I'd fly to a close point on mainland Europe and get a hire car from there and drive to the UK.

The situation regards taking your car into the TRNC is 'fluid'. Remember you are 'technically leaving Cyprus' via an unrecognised border crossing.

I'm sure other Angloinfo posters will be along shortly to add their views/experiences.

Johnners