DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Fine for Not wearing a seat belt.

Posted by Phoebe-685310 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 6 years ago

Hi mvpapaioannou,   As you haven't paid then the fine is still active. Cyprus, as a member of the EU, has agreements regards fines and offences with other member states. Eventually the outstanding fine will catch up with you. As Builderboy pointed out you could be stopped at customs at some point if there is a warrant for the offence. One glimmer of hope, as you suggest you aren't in Cyprus at the moment, Cypriot authorities are so bogged down in red tape and a backlog of paperwork that your fine is likely to be in a very big pile labelled pending. They will tend to deal with the easier ones first ie: those who are still here on the island.   Johnners 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Builder Boy - 6 years ago

The fine is probably the least of your worries. If you didn't pay it then there is probably a warrant out for your arrest which could cause you a problem when travelling to any EU country.

I cannot say for certain but I would think that the charge will remain as you failed to pay it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mvpapaioannou - 6 years ago

Hi everyone,

Would anyone know how long it takes before the seat belt penalty is erased from your records? I left the country for two years and I am not coming back - without having payed :) Thought it would be gone by the time I get back - you see I got the fine on my way to the airport as I was leaving and thought I will skip it...

Sorry no image available
Posted by michael barrett - 9 years ago

Hi I have just paid my fine for not wearing my seat belt this morning 86 euro all but a couple of cents, it hurts!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Phoebe-685310 - 9 years ago

Hi Johnners,

No don't worry it's fine, I just wanted to check as my husband got a fine for 85.43 today! so you were spot on, I just thought it was a little high as we were pulling out of a drive onto the road and the police man was straight infront of us. I know he should have put it on when he started up the engine but as some of us do he was about to put in on as we drove off, but hey we live and learn.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi Phoebe,

Our neighbour is a member of the Advanced Driving Network and he gave me a print out of the most 'popular' motoring offences/fines. I'll ask him for more information if you wish.

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi Phoebe,

The latest figurees I have is a fine of €85.43 and possibly a minimum of 2 points going up to 4 points on your licence.

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by VinnyC-673555 - 9 years ago

about 60 euro I think, parking is 80 and speeding is a lot less??????