DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Hiring a car in the South and going North .

Posted by christine murless-697900 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yoshik - 9 years ago

Rent from Economy Car Hire. Talk to Alex or Marios.

I have rented for a month from them and have been all over Cyprus, North and South and with their full permission.

Just pay for the insurance at the border as per norm.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

Most hire companies don't hire to under 25's

Bill

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

Don't forget the insurance available at the checkpoint is likely to be third party only .

Could put you in a sticky situation if you are involved in a accident whilst over there .

Bill

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 9 years ago

I've just read the initial post again - if the driver is in Cyprus only for that 2 weeks and intends to stay ONLY in the north having arrived and hired a car in the RoC, then I think she may be on VERY sticky ground. I wouldn't risk it.

Graham

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 9 years ago

Actually, I think I'm right in saying that there's currently no TECHNICAL reason not to take a hire car over the Green Line (the kiosks at the crossing points quote a special "insurance" rate for hire cars) and I have seen RoC hire cars driving round in the north; but it is quite true that many - probably most - hire companies in the south prohibit the use of their cars in the north. The safest bet is to check with your hire company; if they're happy, you have no problem, but if they say no don't even contemplate risking it.

Graham

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 9 years ago

No. You are not allowed to take hire cars over from the Republic of Cyprus to the occupied north.