DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

I wish to export my car to cyprus and sell it

Posted by babsie-702772 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by babsie-702772 - 8 years ago

Hi guys

Lovely to see that you take the time to answer questions from newbies such as myself.

The car is a black BMW 318i - reg 2002 - obvously on english plates and engine is 2 litre... well 1986cc or summat, with black leather interior !!

I am reckoning it will cost about £3.5k by the time I am finished bringing it over including the transport as well. This includes the excise duty, road tax and the regsitration tax. Then the transport over and then the co2 emissions thingy and then the MOT and then the plates.

If anyone has any different thoughts, they are most welcome...

Thanks again for responding

Babsie

Sorry no image available
Posted by nic0las - 8 years ago

Sorry 85000 miles

Sorry no image available

Hi

It's a Peugeot 206 HDI

1997 cc

Registered May 2001

5 Door

Manual 5 Door

Sorry no image available
Posted by oTheo - 8 years ago

Hi Nicolas,

Is your car running on Cyprus plates?

If you are interested to sell the car, can you please provide me with some info of it?

I.e: Mileage, Auto/manual, Engine capacity etc...

Sorry no image available

Hi oTheo, Thank you for that. My car has been here sine 2006, registered since 2007 but I would like to sell it now as my husband needs a pick up for business reasons. It's a 1997 engine, low emissions etc but i don't want to pay more duty than the actual car is worth.

Sorry no image available
Posted by oTheo - 8 years ago

Hi Nicolas,

What happened is with the registration tax (number plates).

Dealers claim the Cyprus government should not impose this type of tax as it is not obiding with some EU regulations.

The dealers now mostly, they pay the registration tax, but at the same time they provide a letter which says that they pay under protest. 

That means, when a change of Law occurs, they will demand their money back.

Its the latest update i am aware of.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 8 years ago

There are two main killers to bringing a car to Cyprus as far as I can recall - and I forget the Cyprus names for the various charges. One 'tax' takes into account the engine size, type of vehicle, and it's age - reduces to about 95% after 10 years - there is a spreadsheet to calculate this, which you say you have found. The other is the registration fee - which again takes into account the engone size - but has no reduction to go with age. so - if your vehicle is not yet on cyprus plates this can be a VERY significant cost depending upon the engine size of the vehicle!! There is also the annual road tax (circulation tax) which is payable annually - and again is based upon engine size. Make sure you include in your calculations the three main components.

As a rule of thumb - if the vehicle is under 1600 cc it may be a worthwhile excercise. If the engine size is 2000 cc work it out carefully. If it is over 2500 cc it more than liklely will not be worth it (registration charge and annual circulation tax become the real killers - even for an old vehicle)

Sorry no image available

Hi oTheo, What is it with the Duty, I have heard soooooooooooo many rumour about it being axed as it is apparently illegal!! That could be another myth. Any ideas. The calculator price has just scared me. I already live in cyprus, been here about 4.5 years now and my car has been here as long and apparently they still want duty on it!!! Don't you just love it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by babsie-702772 - 8 years ago

Hi Theo

Thank you soooo much for your response - it WAS VERY helpful. Thank you for taking the time to respond with such detail.

I think that you are probably right in not getting involved in the hustle myself and will investigate some prices for that.

I have found the excel spreadsheet which you mentioned so will now work some figures out ...

Thank you again