DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Importing a car if its still on finance in uk

Posted by fernandez77 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kciseddoh - 9 years ago

Very good. since your application is still on going I don't see why you can't pay the fine again? ask them when you go to the office. Iam sure they will do it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fernandez77 - 9 years ago

Hi

i paid a fine already for missing the date, you think i should be clear to drive the car then?

im going to ring Nicosia now and try and book an appointment to see them

Sorry no image available

Hi Lee,

Glad to be of help ! As mention this not a Cyprus law ! if this turns out to be so, ask to see a copy and then tell them EU law takes precedent over local law.

Also can as ask them to pay for the fine for missing the extension date ! this will allow you to drive around on the UK plate.

As I said earlier, don't take no as anawer because it is illegal and they know it.so let them know you know it.

Above all be nice to them when you go to see them.

Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by fernandez77 - 9 years ago

Hi,

I (foolishly) included the annual statement from Volvo showing this detail, i have permission from Volvo that the car is allowed to leave the UK but they still say the law in Cyprus states that the car must be wholly owned.

The car is in a warehouse as it has been here nearly 12 months now and is still on UK plates and i missed the deadline for filing for an extension.

Il take heed of your advice though, thanks##
lee

Sorry no image available

Hi,

How did cutoms know the car was on finance? do you have the V5 ? beacuse there is nothing written anywhere stating the car has to be finanace free.

Also why is your car in a bonded warehouse? Anway,I moved here in August and had my visitors permit extended a couple of times and now have my approval. The cutoms lady told me once you have put in your application the vistors permit will be extended each time your case in on going.

I will suggest you print off the guidelines with regards to duty free from the govt website and the highlight all the relevant info. Then making refrence to it ,write to them and also include the letter from the finance company to the Nicosia office to see the case worker. Also ask to see what EU directive states the car has to be finance free.

Do not be put off !! insist nicely you want to see how they are applying the law.

Sorry no image available
Posted by baxi-666881 - 9 years ago

when you say - you have spoken to other people who have done the same - did they declare the same to customs ? . or did they keep there mouth shut ? . perhaps you should try to speak to another customs officer , they have differing views .