DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Importing a UK car

Posted by hlseurope-706047 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by hlseurope-706047 - 8 years ago

Hi Loadsatime

Well noted and thank you for your contribution. Yes it seems that we in the UK are dilligent in ensuring we follow the letter of EU law and the agreed principles in full, even to our own detriment (often the case). I do make one observation on a financial note, we do not seem to receive as much support for our contibution to the EU in funding terms as say Portugal or Cyprus. I am always aware of the many signs in Portugal, displayed around large construction projects such as motorways and development projects, as to the support of the EU funding. I wonder if the UK actually receives the same level of support or are we considered too well established to qualify?

P.S. Where do I find a list of current MEP's representing the interests of the UK? Could be interesting if we all raised a few points for them to work on our behalf!

hlseurope

Sorry no image available
Posted by loadsatime-678473 - 8 years ago

funny old thing E.U. we took two [2] cars ito france no road tax to pay , on fuel an still not as high as U.K. prices regisration 47.50 euros M.O.T. 57 euros [please get headlights changed they drive on right [within 3months] .Biggest payout manufacturer 110 euros for there so called certificate of conformity [that payment is not to govment] are we being CONNED ?????? well?

Sorry no image available

Hi sean and thank you for taking time for giving such detailed information.

We had a similar experience importing a Smartcar from UK to Portugal (we are also residents there). The car cost just £1250 to buy but we paid shipping at £600, new headlights at €300, tail lights at €200, fitting cost €85. Then there was an EEC conformation certificate from Mercedes at €150 plus an engine number certification document at €180, two lots of import tests at €68 each, then another MOT test of €27, followed by the the import tax of €195 and road tax €35 which totalled €1,033. It took many hours of waiting in many departments where there was a reluctance to speak any English, fortunately I have some knowledge of Portuguese and managed to persuade them I understood the procedure. Despite all this it took over three weeks to complete the process. We are allowed to sell the car after 12 months as we have now completed the matriculation, but believe me I would not recommend it to anyone. As you say it is less stressful and easier to pay the local cost and walk away. I wrote to my MEP in the UK to raise the issue and despite an initial reply I have heard nothing since. I wonder how much our MEP receives as a salary to represent the needs of British citizens?

hlseurope

Sorry no image available
Posted by seangorman - 8 years ago

Re importing if you are a resident you can claim duty free status on the car but u must have owned it 4 a year in UK, however you then cannot sell it without paying the relevant duties. BEWARE as you will be liable to pay import duty which varies with the cc emissions rating and age of the car. Example i paid 2000 euro to import a 7 year old 2000 cc BMW on top of this you will then have to register the car and obtain a cypriot log book and number plate this cost another 600 euro yes you read it right 600 for a log book (current UK fee 40 euro regardless of cc make or year. These charges are deemed illegal by the EU but as the Cypriot authorities were fined a mere 900,000 euro last year as against over 10million euro taken in i guess you wont see a change in the near future. So in a nutshell a car which i purchased in the UK for 5300 pounds cost me 2000 euro plus 6oo euro to import along with another 600 pounds roll on roll off. A total of almost 60 % of the original value of the car. A friend of mine imported a Mercedes sports and was asked to pay more than the cars actual value hence he sent it back to the UK. If i imported and registered to any other EU country these figures would drop to zero import tax and 50 euro for registration doc. With this in mind you can take your pick import and be extorted or buy a secondhand car in Cyprus and pay almost double its UK value. However new cars seem to be roughly similar in price to the UK obviously not attracting said import duties.

Sorry no image available

Hi Johnners, thank you for your prompt reply and info. Excellent stuff, all very useful!

Bottom line = It sounds very similar to the Portuguese car import tax system (which is also not designed to be helpful or in keeping with the spirit of the EU). Howevever, in fairness, I wish we were as protective with our rules for importation to protect our own markets!

You pays your money and takes your chances as usual Thanks again, HLS Europe

Sorry no image available

Hi Suzie

Thank you for your prompt reply, good point air con would be essential.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suzie22 - 8 years ago

If you decide to bring a car over, make sure it has air conditioning, you will need it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

Hello Hiseurope,

If you search this forum much has been written about importing cars to Cyprus. As you'll see peoples experiences are many and varied!

The search box is over there >>>>>>> and up a bit.

Johnners