DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Increased Road Tax for RX7 & RX8 (mazda rotary)

Posted by nicosp76 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by SamBA-10039772 - 3 years ago

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your advice. This is a bit crafty And I don't understand how Cypriot government can justify this. However the car was shipped to Cyprus in December 2012 and my argument is it was imported before Aygust 2013.

I am not sure if they accept that or. Not but it seems a bit unfair.

Thanks

Sam

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jimmy Leicos - 3 years ago

Hi Sam

as you probably know the whole issue was complicated. Basically in 2013 the Road Transport Dept  issued a new law in response to losing the court case back in 2012. The new law stated that all new RX8s arriving in Cyprus from Aug 2013 would not be covered by the court case and treated as 2616cc and road tax will be based on the higher cc. as this was a Road Transport law it did not cover customs charges which is why you paid duty on 1308cc. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by SamBA-10039772 - 3 years ago

Hi there,

I was wondering if you could help me please.

I am new to this and I know the topic is a bit old but will need your help and advice.

I have sent a car (RX8) for my brother in Cyprus which I regret now. Fist issue was the duty which I managed to sort it out and car was released from customs as 1308 cc. Now I want to register it and they are referring to UK log book and want to charge 500 euro.  I don't understand if duty was paid based on 1308 cc why they want to charge me extra.

Thanks
Sam

Sorry no image available
Posted by gypsielady - 5 years ago

This is crazy! As if the 587 euro tax fee isn't enough, where on earth did the 740 euro "short collection of fees" come from? Just a couple of years ago, they refunded me 300 euros in overpaid tax (thank you for the advice back then Demetris). Now they want it back, plus more???
I'm sure they make it up as they go along!
My RX8 is off the road at the moment and I really don't think it's worth paying to get it back on! 
I'm simply fuming ... 

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackofspades - 5 years ago

No, I wouldn't dream buying one. 

I think it's  quite fair that they increased the tax on these since the CO2 emissions are around 300 gr/km. Its also high in the UK 

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/road-tax-guide/mazda/rx-8/coupe-2003/25670/

What I don't undestand is how the Road dept is playing ping-pong with increasing/decreasing the price on a whim. That is WRONG!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jimmy Leicos - 5 years ago

€587 plus arrears from 2009 when I bought my RX8 from UK? are you also affected by the change? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackofspades - 5 years ago

So how much is the road tax for RX8 this year?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jimmy Leicos - 5 years ago

Hi Nicos

I saw your comment on the Rotary club website which explains why I am being to pay so much for road tax for my RX8 even though for the last few years it has been at the lower amount.  The idiots at the RTD are even asking for arrears from 2009 when they gave me a refund. I need to try and understand the new change. If a car was imported from the Uk say in 2007 and the registration book now states 1308cc even though the UK registration was 2616cc the road tax is at the lower rate. If a car was imported after the original law change in 2008 and the registration was not changed to 1308cc then road tax is charged at the higher rate?

Thanks

Demetris

Sorry no image available
Posted by gypsielady - 7 years ago

Thank you, Demetris. VERY helpful phone call!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jimmy Leicos - 7 years ago

Give me a call on 25818530 or 96785904

Demetris