DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mazda RX8 new road tax 500 euros

Posted by maxncon - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kazanddave - 9 years ago

In the UK the RX8 is in the highest road tax band "M" at the moment that is £405 per year.
They produce Co2 299g/km.
Compare this to an Audi 3.2fsi v6 engine that produces 218g/km.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

Thanks for the link lawrence38~~ so it seems the rumours are true !!!

Bill

Sorry no image available
Posted by Stefan.N - 9 years ago

This is the answer...

For comparison purposes between a Wankel Rotary engine and a piston engine, displacement and corresponding power output can more accurately be compared on the basis of displacement per revolution of the eccentric shaft. A calculation of this form dictates that a two rotor Wankel displacing 654 cc per face will have a displacement of 1.3 liters per every rotation of the eccentric shaft(only two total faces, one face per rotor going through a full power stroke) and 2.6 liters after two revolutions (four total faces, two faces per rotor going through a full power stroke). The results are directly comparable to a 2.6-liter piston engine with an even number of cylinders in a conventional firing order, which will likewise displace 1.3 liters through its power stroke after one revolution of the crankshaft, and 2.6 liters through its power strokes after two revolutions of the crankshaft. A Wankel Rotary engine is still a 4-stroke engine and pumping losses from non-power strokes still apply, but the absence of throttling valves and a 50% longer stroke duration result in a significantly lower pumping loss compared against a four stroke reciprocating piston engine. Measuring a Wankel rotary engine in this way more accurately explains its specific output, as the volume of its air fuel mixture put through a complete power stroke per revolution is directly responsible for torque and thus horsepower produced.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Stefan.N - 9 years ago

Actually, the Road Tax should be based on the CO2 emissions.. Lets say...whats the point of the 4 catalysators on Nissan 350Z which have at least twice less CO2 emissions than a 2-liter 1990 BMW, but because the road tax is based on the engine capacity you have to pay 2 times more tax for the Nissan? Everyone knows that the fuel consumption of the RX8 i far more than a regular 1300cc engine...

Sorry no image available
Posted by lawrence38-682147 - 9 years ago

Yes, it's true and some RX8 owners are trying to get together to protest against that...check out the international RX8 club for more details on this :
http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=188607

In my opinion though, for a car with 231 BHP it was quite fair to pay the same tax as one driving a 50-70hp vehicle...but that's just me...

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

I've heard the same rumour that road tax people have finally caught on that the Rx8's rotary wankel engine bears no relation to it's power.

I've been seriousy thinking of buying one but I think I'll wait till they make their minds up.

Bill