DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Parking space...no markings..have a right to park?

Posted by lawrence38-682147 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by macmcdade - 9 years ago

I can see where your coming from because i had the same problem back in the UK. On several occasions the neighbor decided to confront me about "his" parking space, several times blocked me in resulting in me being late for work. One occasion he started hitting my car with a golf club and also physically assaulted me another time. Being that i at the time was 21 and he was a pensioner i felt there wasn't much i could do. I contacted the police several times during these few months, which resulted in them doing absolutely nothing as i had no proof (even although i did have pics of him hitting my car with the golf club) This eventually led to them popping round for a chat, which 15 minutes after the police had left his house i had 2 police vans and 6 police cars outside my front door and me being arrested for selling drugs to children. (Great!)

The choices you have are 1: Talk to a lawyer or police and possibly result in the situation being made worse. or
2: Unfortunately find somewhere else to park, not the best option in your view but probably the best.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

I had the same problem when I bought a flat in Larnaca 15 years ago.

There were 15 flats and 18 spaces (3 for visitors) --- but as most of the residents had more than one car they soon filled up the available spare places and the places marked for residents without cars.

I eventually showed the caretaker/administrator (his family has 4 cars ) my deeds with my allocated parking spot clearly shown -- it caused a lot of problems as they had to shuffle all the spaces with those not liked by the caretaker or unable to stand up for their rights left to park in the street !

It gets bad when one family paints their flat number on all the apparently rarely used parking spots and refuse to concede that they are not actually their parking spots.

One or two flats are rented out and those renting have been told point blank that they do not have a parking place!

It's not only a Cyprus problem as I have friends in Greece, Italy and Spain who have encountered similar problems.

Bill

Sorry no image available
Posted by lawrence38-682147 - 9 years ago

umm...simple math....14 apts....4or5 parking spaces...where's the other parking spots (of course about 3-4 more would've been available had the metal garage and the car port been built.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lawrence38-682147 - 9 years ago

Sorry, I really don't understand what you are talking about...it's the parking spot under the apartment I live in, by our block, I'm not going to park by someone else's block.

How in the world is it possible that 3-4 apartments have parking spaces alloted, what about the rest...
I'm actually gonna look into this, as I find it highly unlikely that those spots belong to those flats...I'm sure they would've been quick to put some metal plate or something like "Apt. xx only" or the number plate...
I just think people imagine that since they've been living here longer , they were first, so it's their right...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Skipper-689563 - 9 years ago

empty lots don't have any signs on them , that doesn't mean you can go build your house, or even park there!. Respect other people's property! Even if they don't ask you to with a sign. I've lived in 3 countries and have traveled in many more. Your actions wouldn't had been taken lightly in any of them. As a matter of fact you are lucky. In some other countries you would had gotten towed at your expense.

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 9 years ago

It's very easy. The owners of the flat will have a diagram of the flat they bought along with the parking space allocated to them - ask them for it. It should also have the parking places of the other flats.
"... Cypriot behavioral mannerisms ..." not all of us are the same - not nice to tar everyone with the same brush.