DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Process of registering a UK car

Posted by Aase - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aase - 9 years ago

You can only apply for excemption of duty on a car that you have owned for at least 6 months in another EU country. We bought the car four days before shipping it to Cyprus so could not apply this rule.

As for the spreadsheet from mof it does work and is very accurate if you have all the details you need to complete the spreadsheet. We ended up paying about an euro less than I had estimated and that was because the dates of import differed slightly!

Sorry no image available
Posted by kitkarman - 9 years ago

Why do the port tell you how much duty is to pay then, you can have duty free but cant sell car unless duty paid, same in most eu countries.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ukguyincyprus - 9 years ago

There is no duty to pay - import duty was abolished in May 2004 - Also as a permanent resident you can apply for exemption from Excise Duty. If there are two of you then get two wothout paying duty.

Keith Cannon

Sorry no image available

I just tried it it does work, just hover over box and menu comes up in drop down box, need excel in though i think.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fergieabroad - 9 years ago

thats good but when i download the software i cant get it to work....

Sorry no image available

You dont have to have owned the car for 6 months, as the original poster now has his car here. you will need a bill of sale along with the if the book is not in your name, I drove one out of port yesterday not in my name,

Duty is worked out easily less discount for age on the government website, dont forget the road tax is expensive along with duty for big engined cars though

government website http://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/customs/customs.nsf/All/BA5EC6AE338D4BF9C225727D0031B2A9?OpenDocument

Sorry no image available
Posted by fergieabroad - 9 years ago

Hi

Can someone please clarify the following points for me as i looking to buy a bmw 2004 x3 2.5l or 2l from the uk.

1. Do you have to pre own it for 6 months

2. How much would the duty be on this if i was to pay it.

Regards

Scott Ferguson

fergieabroad@yahoo.co.uk

Sorry no image available
Posted by lime-676998 - 9 years ago

Indeed, thanks a lot for the details!

Sorry no image available
Posted by baxi-666881 - 9 years ago

Aase , thanks for the break - down , there must be a lot of people wondering whether to do the same as you .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aase - 9 years ago

Total cost approximately Euro 5200.

Car purchase 3000 pounds

Shipping and fees upon arrival 1000 euros

Storage fees at port 60 euros

Customs 300 euros

Clearing agent 100 euros

Insurance 300 euros

MOT 35 euros

Registration 300 euros (not paid this yet so not sure if this includes road tax)

Cyprus number plates 30 euros

Easy to do but does take time at different offices and a lot of patience is needed... Happy we did it, though. Probably haven't saved enormous amounts of money as according to the garage here, the car would be worth about 6000 euros here.