DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Registration costs

Posted by hatter39 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by christop123456 - 7 years ago

I am Cypriot, but I have to agree, it is against EU law, having said that, all 27 Members

have similair polices to meet there end.

We should never have joined this s....... union.

ps i have a jag in bond 9 years because, i will not pay 4200.!!!!!!!!

i was told 8 years ago to wait, it will go down to a few hundred.....derrr

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjwet - 8 years ago

Why was my last post removed? Little sensitive souls offended because I implied that extortionate registration fees are yet another Cypriot rip off?

Ahh, little dears, bless.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kciseddoh - 8 years ago

Hi JJwet,

Under EU regulations, the first registration tax of a car is paid when the car is first registered in a member state (when brand new) so for a second hand car the tax has already been paid in a EU member state. If a member state charges for registration tax, then they should take into account the age of the car and allow a procedure where people can challenge if the cost of the calculation is wrong or incorrect. But that is not the case. The department of transport choose to ignore this. See Article 226 of the EC Treaty or Articles 9 (1) and 12 of the EC Treaty free movement of goods.

Also, this was highlighted by the EU commissioner writing to the Cyprus authorities to change this practice. All this came about when gentleman decided to take them to court and it was ruled in his favour. As I said earlier, its either you pay and take them to court for your money back or pay and put up with it. In this current financial times they will rather pay the EU fine which is not proportionate to the revenue the registration tax generates.

I have just registered my car which cost me close to 2700 euros plus road tax !

Sorry no image available
Posted by hatter39 - 8 years ago

Not the road tax,Baxi The registration of new car tax.. read it properly!

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjwet - 8 years ago

Kciseddoh,

what evidence do you have that the registration fee is illegal? Can you refer me to it because I am very interested as I am about to register my car from UK.

Many thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by baxi-666881 - 8 years ago

the road tax on a small 1000 cc car ie - ( alto , micra ,) ect is 20 euro,s a year , walk round a car park and look at the different prices paid , if displayed ? .

Sorry no image available
Posted by kciseddoh - 8 years ago

I nearly wet myself ! 70 euros for registration tax ? even if the department of transport waived the registration tax ! the road tax alone is more than 70 euros !!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by kitkarman - 8 years ago

I allways register cars myself never heard of 70 euros, get car checked they fill in paperwork for you, go to next office registration fee calculated plus road tax pay and off you go.

Sorry no image available
Posted by detox92 - 8 years ago

A friend of mine registered a vehicle by sitting in the Limassol offices for nearly 2 solid days, filling out this form, filling out that form bla bla bla. He said to me he nearly lost the will to live but because of this he saved a fortune! I think it cost him somewhere in the region of 70 euros to do it himself from what he said they definitely werent in it to make life easy for him. So...... If you have the time and patience have a go at that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by hatter39 - 8 years ago

Thanks!

That is brilliant!! Looked everywhere for that info.

Looks like I am going to have to stump up another load of money.