DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

taxi,s

Posted by baxi-666881 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 8 years ago

I've travelled to so many European cities (and to Toronto) in recent years. I'm just back from Prague. As is the norm everywhere I've gone, at the airport you can choose to get into the city by:

bus

minibus

taxi

train/ underground (not always).

So people who want to pay for the luxury of taxis can do so. Others, like myself, can happily use the airport bus or minibus.

Cyprus is the only place I arrive and would be forced to use a taxi for the long distance from Larnaca to Limassol.

(I know there's now some kind of bus service, but it's not the 'every half-hour' type.)

So because the normal choices have been kept from us that people in other European cities take for granted, I wouldn't blame anyone for using a friend. If there were buses/minibuses etc, then we should use and support them rather than unofficial 'friends' - but there aren't.

Sorry no image available
Posted by baxi-666881 - 8 years ago

vinny c , yes very true , ask any of the airport taxi drivers to put on there meter - and see what happen,s .

Sorry no image available
Posted by VinnyC-673555 - 8 years ago

Hi
I can understand what Andrew is saying about the taxi drivers making a living but they DO rip people off, they DID make it difficult for the bus service to get established and they enjoy working within the closed shop environment. They do block the pick up and drop off points and they do intimidate people, these are facts.
They have genuine overheads and they do need to make a living but not in one day! Too many people have been ripped off, this is a modern country, why don't taxis have meters, and those that do why don't they use them, I will tell you why because they get a higher rate by agreeing a run price.
I drive the same car as most taxi drivers its the very economical E220 CDI it returns over 50 miles to the gallon and only requires servicing every 15,000 miles. Its as cheap as a petrol fiesta to run. Why do they charge so much to travel from the airport to Pafos or Limassol to Larnaca. As I said thy have overheads, service, tyres, breakdowns, NI etc etc but if your local taverna charged the same rate for their overheads, equipment, electric, gas, cleaning materials, NI etc etc I think a pork chop and chips would be around 25 Euro!!!
A fair charge for a fair service, operating in a closed shop environment is only good for the operator.
You never see taxi drivers taking numbers in Manchester, or blocking the drop off and pick up points or leaving people stranded because they refuse to use their meter.
They do need to clean up their act.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 8 years ago

Talking about 'mafia' is somewhat provocative I feel!! There is no doubt in my mind that there are MANY people who will 'run someone to the airport - for a price, if you cover the petrol, or whatever'. There are also many people who 'know someone who can take you to the airport' - and there are these people who 'do the airport run' as a means of supplementing income, appearing to be helpful, for something to do etc etc etc. I honestly think the taxi drivers indeed have a right to question if people dropping off on a regular basis are running unofficial minicab services - and one way to do this is to gather information concerning times the car is seen at the airport dropping off - and noting registration numbers. I see nothing sinister about this activity if viewed from the taxi driver's viewpoint it is an essential activity - and has to be done. No, I am not a taxi driver and I do not even live in Pafos - but I do know of one or two people 'doing the airport runs' to Larnaca and Paphos from Limassol at rates which indeed undercut the taxis. Perhaps I should indeed cease using their services and think of the taxi drivers instead since I have to say that I've never been ripped off by a taxi driver here in Cyprus and have always found them polite, helpful and courteous.

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

We were there at lunchtime certainly lots of drivers hovering and talking but not paying too much attention to what was going on regards drop offs.

Perhaps they thought I was a real 'cabbie' pulling up, getting out, opening the door for my passenger, removing a suitcase from the boot... I think I blew it though when I hugged and kissed my passenger goodbye! If they were watching serves them right for jumping to conclusions!

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by M Gee - 8 years ago

I'm going there this afternoon, will let you know the current situation.

M Gee