DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Travelling by car to Cyprus

Posted by Derby-671213 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

I wouldn't count on it !!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Derek Jago - 9 years ago

Oh well. Maybe by next year they will be forced to have sorted something out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 9 years ago

Quote:

If you are doing it for the journey, what about bringing it through Turkey and TRNC? Is that even possible?

DEFINITELY NOT. Famagusta is an illegal port of entry into the RoC; don't evn contemplate it unless you want to lose your car and get embroiled in some unpleasant and expensive legal and political affairs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Derek Jago - 9 years ago

Are you driving over because you want to do the trip? It would be far cheaper to ship it.

If you are doing it for the journey, what about bringing it through Turkey and TRNC? Is that even possible?

I'm thinking of riding next year but it is only a seed of an idea so haven't done any research yet. That would be the trip I would like to take to spend more time on the road and see more, rather than 4 days at sea.

I would be interested to see the outcome and hear of others experiences if they took the Turkey route.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Derby-671213 - 9 years ago

Thank you to you all for taking the time and effort to reply. It looks like the Italy - Limassol route is the only option, which confirms my own investigations. Special thanks for the tip about Saturday rates at the port :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by car&stef - 9 years ago

hi we tavelled from scotland to france,italy where we boarded the grimaldi ferry with our car . we were the only passengers and the journey took 4 days from salerno to limassol full board basis on ship and cost £1047 total . the ferry stops at pireus , izmir then on to limassol . Wouldnt call it luxury and the food was awful but the whole purpose was to get us from a to b . The downside is when you reach limassol and you get ripped off by the shipping agents that are waiting for you and wont let you off the ferry with your car until you pay approx 300 euros for my car peugeot 206. Also if you conveniently arrive in port on a saturday its double time for the customs people.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Amos-679519 - 9 years ago

http://www.grimaldi.napoli.it/lines/england/lines1.htm use this link it will take you to grimaldi euromed site i used them last June to sail from southampton to limasol 13 day trip though movement of belonings are free in other EU member states Cyprus still charge port fees,so be prepared for port athorities rifleing your wallet also they charge you for getting the veh back on the ferry i got off in salerno on the way back found Grimaldi staff very helpful

Sorry no image available
Posted by wilkesyboy - 9 years ago

Instead of driving the car over, why not just send it on a roll on roll off shipment? I brought my car over about a year ago with a roro shipment and had no trouble at all.

I used Peter Morton - 26923588 - might be able to help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ourplaceinthesun - 9 years ago

Make sure you have insurance and plenty of fight in you! We brought our car over with Grimaldi Ferries and they damaged it but Cyprus being Cyprus denied it!!!!! Good Luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cabbagepatch-696070 - 9 years ago

Sail from Italy with Grimaldi. They do a freighter service which takes a few passengers. We found no other way other than by shipping the car and flying to the island.