DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Where can I find the chemical "toluene"...

Posted by lawrence38-682147 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Michael Orford - 5 years ago

I work at the university and buy alot of chemicals from Sundial Co in Limassol (Tel 25 828828). They may well be able to help as we buy alot of solvents from them.

Go easy with Toluene though because as well as the hazards already pointed out, its carcinogenic.  Nasty stuff!

All the best

Sorry no image available
Posted by Limassol John - 5 years ago

Toluene is a highly flammable industrial solvent and probably will be found at any plastics factory or even dry cleaners.  It has lots of lethal potential and is often abused.  You would be much better advised to heed the advice given and use gunk or non flammable thinners in a well ventilated area.  Sorry to be negative but there are many, safer, alternatives for cleaning engines etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by forevermetalhead - 5 years ago

Lawrence38 have you found any toluene to be available anywhere?

I am trying to find a couple of litres but no matter where i ask no one even know what toluene is.

Toluene really does a great job on cleaning components from old engines.

Thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lawrence38-682147 - 9 years ago

well, I can't just walk up to the airport and demand some of that stuff, can I ?!?

Sorry no image available
Posted by R&M-666296 - 9 years ago

Well, what's wrong with paraffin (kerosene) its what I've used for the last 45 years. You can also use AVTUR although it does hang on your clothes for ages, the airport service area likely has huge amounts drained from turboprops during servicing and they can never re-use it for any aircraft.

AVTUR is a very good degreaser especially for internal items and leaves a film of lubricant as its essentially what TVO was, if you can remember that far back!

R.

Sorry no image available
Posted by baxi-666881 - 9 years ago

we use to use gunk for the same job .