DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Free Uk TV Set Up - Advice

Posted by Cyprus2010 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by astro7041 - 9 years ago

Thanks, you are a honeybean. xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi Astro7041,

You don't need to worry whether your TV is a plasma or LCD to use this information.

LCD and plasma are just two of the ways used to produce a TV picture. Years ago you had no choice it was just the good old shadow mask glass tube technology.

If your TV is only 3 to 4 years old it's likely to have a suitable input to feed the output from your computer, although in certain cases you may need an adaptor. Try a Google search on the Panasonic model you have there'll be a website with the information somewhere.

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by astro7041 - 9 years ago

thank you so much for this advice! Cable net, if it is in your area, provide a 5mg internet connection for 39 euro/month. This is much more competitive than Cyta's charges. Just one thing though how can I tell if my tv is plasma or lcd. It's a panasonis fletscreen about 3-4 years old. Anyway, many thanks again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 9 years ago

As an alternative to using the proxy as described, I subscribe to a VPN service which provides secure (and in many cases faster) internet service. Anglo info for example seems to be faster when I am connected to Lamnia than when I access it directly through Cytanet (don't ask me why!!). Anyway, if connected to Lamnia ( http://www.lamnia.co.uk?xyz=8 ) I can watch the UK TV as though in the UK and also use Iplayer and ITV player. You'll need a decent broadband connection though and I've not yet had a good enough connection to stream HD live (though have downloaded for later viewing). I use a dedicated PC to provide the TV - which avoids the weather problems caused by satellite reception, and use Zattoo to watch Channel 4 live as C4 do not provide a direct feed for some reason (only 4OD for previously shown programs). All this for under £6 per month. Lamnia also provide US and Canadian servers within the same charging structure. Proxies I found to be somewhat unreliable in comparison to the VPN providers - though this may have changed in recent times of course. Anyway, I would recommend checking out http://www.lamnia.co.uk?xyz=8 for details.