DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

LAN Parties

Posted by dtibebop - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lime-676998 - 8 years ago

Dear achilleas, I feel happy for your friend and wish him good luck. I have absolutely no doubt that there are quite a few dedicated professionals in the field of computer science who are domiciled in Cyprus. However, please do note that this thread is dedicated to lan parties - generally a non-profit computer gaming event. Whereas I have no doubt that there are many people who are generally capable of organising/hosting one, I do not know any who are actively engaged/interested in such. However, if your friend is an eager gamer who is interested, we would be very interested in hearing from him.

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 8 years ago

"lime" - your observation is wrong there are a lot of computer literate Cypriots and some extremely computer literate people that will take on any frm the UK in all forms of computing.

My friend is entrusted by multi-national non-Cypriot banks to hack into their systems to find the flaws and weaknesses in their security - he was hired because from the UK, Cyprus, Russia and other countries, he was the only person able to hack the bank and get in.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Spanner-666908 - 8 years ago

Having been a member of the Cyprus Computer Society since it was founded some 25 years ago, I am well aware of the number of IT people around and that doesn't include the 10 to 20 year olds that are nearly all computer literate and avid gamers.

There may be a lot of over 50's that are not au fait with computers and the internet, but nearly all those younger than that have a minimum of a passing acquaintance with them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 8 years ago

I suspect some of the internet cafe's also do gaming between the occupants f the cafe. There is certainly one internet cafe near Kantara (4 seasons) which seems to be more gamers using it rather than using the internet. I suspect that many of the smaller cafes do similar.

Sorry no image available

Spanner, I would love to get more info on Cyprus lan parties.

As for my comments on computer literacy - no offence, but I have not seen many people in Cyprus who would have the requisite skills to organize an event with 15+ people... May be it's just me or my location (Limassol). We ourselves have organised them a few years back, but now most people prefer to go to an internet cafe (simply because it is more convenient).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Spanner-666908 - 8 years ago

What do you mean there are not many computer literate people here? There are loads and I also know that there are LAN parties held!

I was going to suggest you visit http://www.gamers-cy.com/ but it seems to be out of commission. I will check with someone I know who is into this and post it here later.

Sorry no image available

I've never heard of any lan parties, but they appear to be highly unlikely - each city in Cyprus is too small to generate anything like a hardcore computer/gaming community. Mostly, lan parties here have been replaced by computer cafe's that are rather abundant and cheap...