DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Home-Schooling

Posted by CanCyp - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lazer - 4 years ago

Hi All,

I posted on here a few years ago about my friends who home-schooled. About 2 years ago someone from the Min of Education knocked on their door and told them it was illegal. They wouldn't even look at all their official US curriculum documents which proved it was official. They were given a month to get their youngest child in a licensed school or face prison! Neither parent is Cypriot so they were shocked and had to put their daughter in Greek school until she reached 14.5yrs, so she had a hard  time adjusting to school in Greek until old enough to go back to homeschooling again.

So if you are homeschooling in Cyprus be careful. The law about Cypriot parentage doesn't always seem to apply...

Sorry no image available
Posted by george_adc - 4 years ago

We've started to HS our sun since he was 4 yo. Now he is six and a half, speaks 3 laguages, just started the 4th one, doing a lot fot nice things .... We took him to state school this year and is a changed kid now , not in a good way. From next month we will start again homeschoolng program using an umbrella school from USA but there are many in Europe. We are romanians so , we should not have any problems with the "state" but, just in case, I think an umbrella school (like 400 USD a year) will keep us safe. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by george_adc - 4 years ago

nglc88, We are starting HS from Octember using an Umbrella school from US. there are many schools that offer this option al over the world. the pricess start from 300 $ to 3000 pounds a year. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by andycoops54@gmail.com - 4 years ago

Hi, I am an experienced Early Years /  Primary teacher looking to moving out to Cyprus. I would be able to offer part time private tuition and have all the most up to date knowledge and skills of the UK National Curriculum. I am also very interested in setting up parent workshopso enable parents to educate their children most effectively, would this be if any interest to you? Lynda

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidogden - 4 years ago

I have been sending my 11 year old son to a local Greek school for the past year and at first he seemed to be doing well, he joined at the end of the school  year but was advanced with his classmates so we thuoght all was well until a couple of weeks ago when he took the entrance exam for a private school. His maths had dropped considerablely and how iswell below average.

I then discovered the reason, unbeknown to us the school has only been teaching him Greek. I spoke to the Head teacher today and asked  how he was going to get on with secondary school in the Autumn if he has no foundation in other subjects. she just shrugged her shoulders and said thats the way it is.

I picked my son up at lunchtime nad surprise surprise he had a maths lessons for the first time this year.

I am seriously considering  teaching him myself as funding does not allow me to send him to a Private School without working. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by photomike - 5 years ago

Hiya HUN14

For what it is worth - as a "so called Home Educater " i decided to Facilitate and NOT try to teach my son too much myself - we would chat and i would listen to his "interests " ( IMO Kids intersts often change with their age etc ) then try to match him up with someone who knew about the subject - like he got keen on Solar Energy - so i booked us both into C.A.T in Wales and we lived in an eco cabin with 6 other home ed families - i loved it and learnt a lot too !

It is recognised in Education Otherwise that Parents may take 2 years to adjust to de-registering and often feel they have to justify what they are doing to friends / familly etc  but a child in a relaxed atmosphere will naturaly be inquisitive and want to learn .

I gave my son an old Digi SLR and he documented what he was doing - which made him feel good when asked " Why are you not at school ? You are not learning anything ? " 

He would simply hand them  a Biz Card ( Yes he had a Company Bank Account aged 13 and dealt on e-bay etc ) and suggest they look at his Web Site - that a Pal of ours helped him design .

I found being a member of Education Otherwise helpfull as when questions arose we could look on their web site/ chat rooms etc + we were given I.D. Cards to show to any officials / Police etc that stated he was being Educated !

In Cyprus i sent him to a private school 2 mornings a week - really that was to mix socialy but also they had Copies of School work sheets for those who wanted them .

I hope that you enjoy the experience - i did-Mike

PS - as it happens i am dyslexic - i choose not to use Auto Spell Check - i figure as long as you can understand what i am saying - thats OK and perhaps tthat is why i became a Photographer .

Sorry no image available

Hiya HUN14

For what it is worth - as a "so called Home Educater " i decided to Facilitate and NOT try to teach my son too much myself - we would chat and i would listen to his "interests " ( IMO Kids intersts often change with their age etc ) then try to match him up with someone who knew about the subject - like he got keen on Solar Energy - so i booked us both into C.A.T in Wales and we lived in an eco cabin with 6 other home ed families - i loved it and learnt a lot too !

It is recognised in Education Otherwise that Parents may take 2 years to adjust to de-registering and often feel they have to justify what they are doing to friends / familly etc  but a child in a relaxed atmosphere will naturaly be inquisitive and want to learn .

I gave my son an old Digi SLR and he documented what he was doing - which made him feel good when asked " Why are you not at school ? You are not learning anything ? " 

He would simply hand them  a Biz Card ( Yes he had a Company Bank Account aged 13 and dealt on e-bay etc ) and suggest they look at his Web Site - that a Pal of ours helped him design .

I found being a member of Education Otherwise helpfull as when questions arose we could look on their web site/ chat rooms etc + we were given I.D. Cards to show to any officials / Police etc that stated he was being Educated !

In Cyprus i sent him to a private school 2 mornings a week - really that was to mix socialy but also they had Copies of School work sheets for those who wanted them .

I hope that you enjoy the experience - i did-Mike

PS - as it happens i am dyslexic - i choose not to use Auto Spell Check - i figure as long as you can understand what i am saying - thats OK and perhaps tthat is why i became a Photographer .

Sorry no image available
Posted by hum14 - 5 years ago

hello all,

ok,,,thanx masterbuild for the response.... but i am sorry i am at the same situation.(sounds silly but this is a beginner stage for me) .

will just quote you guys with my own example, i started about two months ago with my kids only with english (now thinking to slowly introduce more subjects as th eteaching at school is nill yet)..i taught them alphabets, how the sounds, n some easy words starting with the words, n now they r doing easy words spelling . now how should i proceed further?

do i need to take some english school book of 1 class, n teach them accordingly with the book?  (this is what i am thinking ) if there are otherways,, plz do let me know about them !. i browsed on net too, but mostly sites want money for subscription.. should i subscribe one?

we used to work on "work sheets" that helped us to actually do according what we learnet... from where can i get these kinds of worksheets?

if u guys know about sites,,, do tell me ..

thanx all

Sorry no image available

Try looking at <educationotherwise.org> Despite being a qualified Tutor myself , when my son was 10i  felt  the UK State System was failing him , so after much research decided to Opt Out and "Educate Otherwise " . there is NO need to stick to "School Curriculum " - I often had doubts myself about the merits of Kids being forced to memorise passages of Shakespear and learn Algeba !

So with Education Otherwise we traveled Europe a lot , went to many Home Ed Camps and he had a very hands on education , socially meeting many friends from E.O. 

One day here in cyprus when he was doing his PADI Diving Exams ( age12 - which was illegal in the UK to dive ) i observed him sitting on Latchi Beach answering his Dive Instructors questions about Vectors , Pressure , De Compression times etc ...and knew ..this is what education really is about !

By choice at 15 he went to take some exams at a school in the UK and after 2 terms passed 7 GCSEs with very good grades . His Head there said it wasnot unusual for Home Ed Kids to do so well and often employers prefered their wide experience of skills to exam grades .

I think it depends a lot on the child and the parent does have to make lifestyle changes themselves - but its an option !

Sorry no image available
Posted by masterbuild - 5 years ago

My company secretary is a Cypriot lawyer,and funny enough he says the same thing :)