DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Home-Schooling

Posted by CanCyp - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 20)

Sorry no image available
Posted by centralgroupcyprus - 5 years ago

This is very true in the sun,it is illegal for Cypriots or any child with a Cypriot parent,but it is an option for all ex pats

Sorry no image available
Posted by InTheSun-945770 - 5 years ago

Under Cypriot law if NEITHER parent is a Cypriot National or the child, then you can home school. I am hoping to be moving to Cyprus later this year or early next year.  I am self-employed here in the UK and I Home Educate my children. We do not follow a strict curriculum and we intend to continue so in Cyprus. You can do formal studies via correspondence when they are older 16+, if there are currently financial restraints.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Builder Boy - 5 years ago

Absolutely! Regret is a terrible thing.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chris&wendy-936191 - 5 years ago

Thanks Builder Boy.

I know that I can make a go of it in Cyprus; its just getting the foot in the door that's the hard part.

Just cast my CV net far and wide so it is hoped that I get at least 1 response !! I'll have enough cash to sustain me for a year, but as soon as I land I'll need to hit the ground running.....

Anyway, my view is that it is alway better to try and fail, then not to try at all..

Chris

Sorry no image available

The job is the hard bit.

You have a range of skills but they are in areas where there is a lot of competition here, quite a bit from people working cash in hand too, but there is always room for good and reliable workers.

If and when you come make sure you have enough cash for at least the first year and always keep enough aside for the air fare home.

Not trying to be negative, but this is not as good place to be stuck with no money.

Sorry no image available

Ah right . Thanks.

I'm not adverse to my daughter attending a Cypriot School in the mornings as a bit of diversity won't do any harm - especially in regards to her picking up the language from an early age.

Right, now for the hard bit - finding a job out there for me (46 year old site foreman, come qualified electrician, come carpenter,come property manger, come aircraft inspector and engineer  :-D )

Chris

Sorry no image available

Hi Chris

As you would expect, anyone who is resident in Cyprus is subject to the laws of Cyprus and anyone who home schools is breaking the law and runs the risk of prosecution - and the Ministry of Education does take action in such cases.

A number of children here are schooled in other subjects either at home or at private institutes in the afternoons, which is allowed, but they must attend school in the mornings.

Sorry no image available

Is the statement above ' We're English not Cypriot,so are well within our rights to home teach.' an absolute fact or just conjecture ?

The reason for asking is that we intend to move to Cyprus shortly for good, and as we home educate our 6 year old in the UK we wish to continue that.

Thanks

Chris,

Sorry no image available
Posted by masterbuild - 5 years ago

We're English not Cypriot,so are well within our rights to home teach.Tips?,we find that teaching to  our daughters strengths works well,and not forcing her to do something she hates.The social side of school can also be a big negative as well as positive,especially in Cyprus,the political garbage she was being taught was a joke,and when she attended from 5 years old to 7 and a half years old,all the kids were treated like sheep as far as i could see.

I have a couple of friends that are headmasters in the UK,and they think what we are doing is great!,there are over 60000 kids being home schooled in the UK,Cyprus will catch up in a few million years time.We are actively trying to get her to think on her feet about different subjects,just as you would in the real world.I just finished doing a roof for a lady that is a teacher at one of the english private schools,and she says that they don't teach kids nowadays,they just show them how to pass exams

Sorry no image available
Posted by hum14 - 5 years ago

@masterbuild,, hello , i am a mum of two kids, n seriously thinking about kind of home schoolinh.. means my both kids attend the greek state school, and i already started teaching them english at home. but i am confued about how to teach them,,, ok i taught them basics but then what next?? there should be some guidance to me that will help me to teach them according to their age and their regarding class. do u have some tips / things that will be helpful for me? i am looking to some curriculum, some books n etc... hope u r getting me :)  regards