DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moving to Cyprus with concerns for 7 yr old

Posted by samantha Hogben - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by DaveLewis - 8 years ago

Toby is absolutely right. He's echoed my comment that an education is the best gift you can give a child and if you get it wrong you will be having a huge negative impact on your child's future which may be irreversible. Take your time, choose wisely, travel if necessary - it may be a bind but in Cyprus no distance is that huge! - and if you make a mistake correct it as soon as possible. Don't just follow the herd, one size doesn't fit all. However flawed in practice, the principle of 'every child matters' in the UK is key to getting the best education. Ask what the school will do for your child. Let the school assess them and listen to their responses, if the school seems to understand the needs of the child and has the resources and the willingness to develop them then go for that school. I taught in a private school in the UK and our school was small but good for the children. Some parents moved their children to another much bigger private school because of the kudos of it. The children invariably struggled but it was the parent's vanity that was being satisfied not the children's needs!

Sorry no image available
Posted by toby-699613 - 8 years ago

that is really good advice-every child is different and has different needs- in uk the agenda is ECM-every child matters-find schools that cater for your childs needs and if you have to travel a bit to do it -surely its worth it for your childs future success

Sorry no image available
Posted by athinoulla - 8 years ago

we have a similar combination of children to that of the original writer of this post. Our youngest was 4 when we came to Cyprus. did 2 years in Cypriot nursery and we can now choose between Cypriot and UK schooling because she is fluent in Greek. However our oldest was 8 when we arrived, and he is not fluent. we are not willing to take the risk so he will continue in private schooling in English. Both are at St Marys in Limassol. I recommend it. try one solution for one, and another for the other....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jane1973 - 8 years ago

We moved here nearly 3 years ago and our son attended Greek school (he was just 5 at the time) without being able to speak a word of Greek. He is now nearly 8, speaks fluent Greek and can read and write the language also. Our school was excellent, extremely helpful and supportive and they gave him extra Greek lessons free of charge.

My son repeated his first year so is 1 year behind but can read, write and speak 2 languages at aged 7 which I think is great. I don't feel that his education has suffered at all and we have no plans to return to the UK so if he has to eventually find work here, he will need to be able to speak and write the language.

Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by samantha Hogben - 8 years ago

Sorry Dave, That message was meant for a lady who also wrote to me not to you. Anyway thanks for your thoughts.

Reguards

Sam

Sorry no image available

Dear Samantha

I think you might have misinterpreted my comments. I love working at my school and it's great to be able to work with children who are capable and willing but who have just not been given the opportunity at Greek school.

I've got no intention of moving back to the UK and my only sleepless nights are over the parents who put their children into the Greek school system without thinking of the implications. If I were in the position of being a parent considering schools then if my child was coming up to school age and had attended a Greek nursery where they had developed the language skills at the developmental stage then I'd have no concerns carrying on with the Greek system. It's where say, a seven year old, ten year old or older, with no idea of the Greek language is put into a situation where only Greek is spoken the problem lies. Common sense says they'd be at a severe disadvantage to begin with.

A good education is the best gift you can give your child and it is a parent's responsibility not to mess it up!

Do feel free to ask anything more if you need

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by samantha Hogben - 8 years ago

Hi, Thanks for your message reguarding the schooling, i hope you are not still having sleepless nights from worry. It sounds awful, and i do hope you do not have to return to the UK because of this. The fact is we all just want to do the best for our children and give them the best start in life and this situation is very sad. Rather than go back to the UK is there any chance you could perhaps move and try a different school. You never know maybe there will be enough of us English one day that will help make schooling for our children here better.

Reguards Sam

Sorry no image available

Hi Sam

I've seen the situation from a teacher's point of view. I've moved to a fantastic private school near Paphos which has taken in kids who have attended a Greek school, only for parents to move them to us. We have children who can't write English properly and who are a year behind at age 7 already. I've heard that the Cypriot schools that take on English pupils often ask you to pay for additional lessons to help them catch up and sometimes they are left to their own devices as the lessons are taught in Greek which an English seven year old will have no chance with. Our school is not expensive compared to AA and ISOP but we have them learn Greek for 1 - 2 hours a week so they get the good education and can integrate too. By the time you've paid to catch up you might as well pay for a private school anyway! Email me direct if you are in our area and want any further info

Regards

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 8 years ago

Just a thought. Why don't you get a group together and organise home schooling. I'm a teacher of English Lit and Language of many years experience and I'm sure there are other good quality retired teachers.

Home schooling would seem to be the solution.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mummyof4 - 8 years ago

Hi

My 4 Children all went to Kouklia school and nursery, They were both put back two classes from what they would of been in the UK, due to not speaking greek. It was hard work but I paid for greek lessons to help and after 1 year my 2 boys, that were at the school, spoke, wrote and read greek, something I am really proud off. My other 2 enjoyed Nursery, They werent stimulated, but they did pick up some greek.

We then moved to Pissouri.

I am having sleepless nights about it.

My boys at the school hate it, they are picked on. The teacher says she will hit them if they talk in class. They are bullied by the other students. The head teacher does very little to help its awful.

We cant afford to sent to private school, not all 4, its anywhere between 13,000-18,000 a year.

Sorry if this sounds negative, but if you find the right greek school, I am sure your daughter would be ok, but it will take time for her to fit in.

I just wish there was something that we could do, there is so many people in this situation and no one will help the people that are not so well off.

Yes I know we could go back to UK, and I have hear people say if you dont like the greek school system, we should. We might have too.