DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Apostolides Orams

Posted by athe - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doulla - 9 years ago

Hi Paul

Forgot to mention. If I hear of any info regarding the person who sold the land to the Orams, I will let you know. However, wouldn't this be along the lines of buyer beware - if you buy e.g. a stolen Rolex you can be prosecuted, or if you buy a car and the original seller still owed money on it the HP company can take the car from you.

Regarding the map.....well done!

Sorry no image available

Hi Paul

I don't know of any MPs 'recognising' the so called TRNC. They would look pretty stupid as neither the UK or any other govt recognises them!

With regards to the Orams, they knew exactly what they were purchasing, but didn't care. They ultimate got what they deserved, and quite rightly so. What would the world be if there were no international laws or justice!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paphos Tony - 9 years ago

What is most surprising for me is the fact that the Orams pursued this matter so far! They were in the wrong, clearly understood that fact from a very early stage and yet still forced the rightful and legitimate property owner through numerous court cases, expense and hardship in order that he could ultimately claim what is rightfully his.

I sympathise with the Orams for being fooled into purchasing something that wasn't there to be sold but a little more due diligence and a little more respect at the beginning would have avoided this whole sorry situation.

At least though a precedent has now been set and hopefully others wont make the same mistake again!

Sorry no image available
Posted by northmoorpaul - 9 years ago

I agree with you, Doula, and I have no sympathy for persons who think that it is ok to buy in the TRNC because it is cheap (with a complete disregard as to why the property is cheap). I just thought that the case would have caused more reaction on this forum because, whatever happens from here in, it may have repercussions in the Republic of Cyprus. Also, although Turkey is the only country that officially recognises the TRNC, I think that many British people (including politicians) also recognise it, especially some of the tourist companies. This is largely because the British are ill educated and always out for something cheap. For an example, I had to make a complaint to a major map supplier in Long Acre, London because I found that they had put Cyprus maps in their Turkish section. How insensitive is that?

And by the way, what happened to the person that sold the Orams the land in the first place?

Sorry no image available

Firstly 'TRNC' is not legal and is not recognised by any country other than .....Turkey (surprise, surprise). With regards to the turkish occupied territories of the ROC and its economy I have no sympathy... what about the g/c refugees who were forced from their homes, livelihoods, the heartache of seeing 'thieves' enjoying your property/homes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by northmoorpaul - 9 years ago

I'm surprised that few people appear to have had an interest in this case as it may have repercussions for the whole of the island isofar as how the economy of the TRNC is affected and wether Talat gets re-elected.

Sorry no image available
Posted by journo-666338 - 9 years ago

Turkish cypriot land in the south is under government-controlled Guardianship. Although Greek cypriot refugees have in some cases been permitted to live in/work from property owned by Turkish Cypriots, they know that they could be required to vacate the property at any time in order for it to be returned to its owners.

That has already happened in the case of Turkish Cypriots taking out ROC passports and returning to live in the south. The ROC government has also (according to certain provisions) paid for the full renovation of the turkish cypriot property.

Those allocated/using Turkish Cypriot land in the south for business purposes pay rent to the Guardian, which is held on account for the Turkish cypriot holders of the Title Deeds.

There is absolutely no comparison between the status of Turkish Cypriot owned land in the ROC (which is fully protected) and Greek Cypriot owned land in the occupied north of the island - which has been given away, re-allocated and for which supposed 'TRNC' deeds (not recognised internationally) have been issued..

Sorry no image available

We (family and friends) are extremely happy that Mr Apostolides has won the case. After all he is the legal owner of the property and there are no excuses for buying property in the Turkish occupied north of Cyprus unless of course they are buying property from a Turkish Cypriot or seller with pre 1974 legal documents. I hope that he and all refugees will one day soon be able to return to their properties which they are unable to enjoy as a result of the continual Turkish occupation of the north of the island.

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 9 years ago

Personal Opinion - I think this decision is right. You cannot do what you want with no respect for anyone else and use "I don't recognise the Greek Cypriot government" as your only defence, which is what Mrs. Osram said.
I believe that for the most of it, any Turkish Cypriot owned land in the ROC is controlled by the government - if a piece of land is given to a Greek Cypriot then the government keeps a record of this and substitutes the land with another similar priced/placed piece of land.
In the occupied area, this is not done and as has been shown, the land was free game to anyone that built on it, even though it belonged to someone else.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

I hope this doesn't spark off a tit for tat reaction from the Turkish Cypriots owning land in the ROC that's been built on .

Bill