DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bangladeshi Workers

Posted by CanCyp - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by journo-666338 - 9 years ago

There has been a certain amount of debate about this, with some disagreement between government departments. Most colleges have told their students (prior to enrolling) that they can work (with certain conditions) and I believe the law as it stands is that:

Students of recognized universities or university programmes are permitted to work for up to 20 hours per week, in specific occupations and specified sectors of economic activity.

However: They must be full-time students of 'recognized' (or in some cases 'registered') universities or colleges and must already have spent at least six months of full-time study in Cyprus.

Typical permitted occupations mentioned in the Ministerial Order (but not, I think only limited to these) were: petrol-station and car-wash attendants; care givers in homes for old people; workers in agriculture/farming, fishing and bakeries; cleaners and kitchen assistants; fast-food delivery drivers.

They have to be able to show a residence permit issued at least 6 months prior to seeking employment; an employment contract, signed by the two parties and their college timetable of studies proving the work hours wouldn't conflict with their lectures

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 9 years ago

Not 100% certain of this but ...
If you are here on a student visa, you are allowed to study but not work - if found working, can have visa revoked.Can only work legally here if from Europe or you get a work permit - students, as far as I know, will not get this.