DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

British Passport Renewal

Posted by philwen - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

If you wear glasses there are specific rules as to what is an acceptable passport photograph to be submitted. My passport was renewed just before last Christmas and my passport photograph has me wearing my glasses, it was processed without any problem as it met all the regulations. All done in two weeks (including the postal round trip to Madrid) Old passport was returned in a separate envelope, and as Graham said, with corner cut off.

Useful examples can be found here: www.ips.gov.uk/cps/files/ips/live/assets/documents/photos.pdf

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 8 years ago

Incidentally, normal practice is to return your old passport with the corner of the front cover clipped off to show it is no longer valid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 8 years ago

According to latest Passport Office info, the changes will be to layout and enhanced safety features. The biggest noticeable difference will be that the personal information page moves from the back of the passport to the front. There will still be only one photograph on the page, and a copy embedded in the security chip, exactly as now. You will, of course, still need to submit two photographs when applying for a first-time passport or if your appearance has changed substantially since your last passport photo was taken - again, exactly as now. If your existing passport is pre-biometric and the photograph shows you wearing glasses, you will need to have new photographs taken with your glasses off.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rollita9 - 8 years ago

What ever you do, do it now because passport laws will be changing in October and from what I've heard from the UK they will be wanting 2 passport photos on ur passport.

Sorry no image available
Posted by journo-666338 - 8 years ago

There is no need to use/pay for an intermediary (middle man) or to use an expensive courier service. Your best bet is to use the Post Office (International Postal Union) EMS/Data Post Service.

Cheap, efficient and reliable. Delivery 'to the door', trackable and signed for!

Sorry no image available
Posted by emba - 8 years ago

the agnecy charged me 48 euros for passport renewal services, i already downloaded and filled in forms, just wanted piece of mind that it was all ok, in this 48 euro cost was the cost of them posting to madrid.(max 10 euors i guess)...sent on the 13th sept got completed passport back on the 21st sept! only point of argument was with the lady there who asked me why i was renewing 5 months prior to passport expiry, i told her they append the "extra" months on you current passport to the new one, she said not a chance......she was wrong....they do

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 9 years ago

I agree about using that agency near Debenhams Limassol. I used them to get a new Cypriot driving licence after mine had been stolen (twice). Very efficient. And cheap.

Make sure your photos are OK. Mine were rejected until I found a good woman photographer in Limassol. Ayia Zoni.

Sorry no image available
Posted by emba - 9 years ago

You can hand in app form photo old passport etc to uk embassy in Nicosia who send it on, and then have to go back to collect from there once it arrives, or post the items to madrid yourself, and then office in Madrid dhls it back to you, but no idea or indication on their site if old one is retuned ?does anyone know?thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 9 years ago

All Passport renewals are now done in Madrid, but I believe you still send them to the High Commission here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by emba - 9 years ago

Did they return your old passport back to you?and just checked the uk embassy site and seems all documentation has to go to spain.....total nightmare