DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Changing Cyprus pounds to euros

Posted by AndrewMoni - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 5 years ago

I guessed you had missed the date!!  

Sorry no image available
Posted by jimmythebargainhunter - 5 years ago

hi Andrew, sign of inset non concentration....did'nt even notice the date...lol

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 5 years ago

Jimmy - journo's posting was dated 31/12/2009.  This is an old thread from 24/12/2009 which has been 'resurrected' and appears to have confused you!!!!!!! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by jimmythebargainhunter - 5 years ago

hello all and Journo...i believe that the coins changing stopped in 2009 as posted by someone before, so the December you mention was 5 years ago, unless of course things have been changed which i'm pretty sure is not the case...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dwnldfld - 5 years ago

Hi,

I have found it IS STILL possible to exchange old Cyprus pounds (notes only, not coins) Up to 2017

In Cyprus you have to go to the Central Bank in Nicosia.

But you can send them to an address in London - I was sceptical, but I found some old notes when clearing out a cupboard, Googled and found a site www.leftovercurrency.com.

I posted off my notes with their form - (Didn't amount to much but if you have a lot, worth registering it)

A few days later I had an email to say they'd received it, and shortly after that it was credited by my bank.

Was very impressed, so DON'T throw out those old notes!

Sorry no image available
Posted by journo-666338 - 9 years ago

December 31st is the last day to change COINS anywhere (including the Central Bank). However I think you have another 7 years to exchange notes with the Central Bank.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 9 years ago

JUst an update. following information gratefully received via the forum I changed the CYP to euros today at Laiki bank Limassol who charged 1% of euros in charges. Free if you pay them into your account with them. Still the €13 charges was less than the petrol would have cost if I had gone to Nicosia.

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 9 years ago

Come in to Nicosia on the highway. Keep on going until you see the lights with the hilton hotel in front of you (after the lights) and the APOEL football club supporters building on your left before the lights.Turn left at these lights.Go past the first turning and then turn into the Central Bank that will be on your left.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Catsnip - 9 years ago

You need to get a move on as coins will only be changed up until 31st december 2009. Not sure when they or if they will be working bettween now and New Year?

News & Publications Expiry of the period for the exchange of coins of the Cyprus pound to euro (16 Oct. 2009)

The Central Bank of Cyprus wishes to remind the public that the last day for the exchange of coins of the Cyprus pound is 31 December 2009. After this date, coins of the Cyprus pound will not be exchanged. The public who hold and wish to exchange such coins are advised to do so the soonest possible.

The exchange of Cyprus pound banknotes will continue until 31 December 2017.

The Central Bank of Cyprus undertakes the exchange of coins and banknotes free of charge.

Sorry no image available
Posted by thebyroms - 9 years ago

you can o nly change notes now in the bank they will not accept coins

to get to bank go in to nicosia off th motorway its one continuous road
if you count 5 sets of traffic light then turn left look out for
Kennedy avenue
if you go past the Hilton on your left you have gone too far its the traffic lights before it

i went a while ago its no problem to change them but make sure you have your correct address in cyprus

web address is
http://www.centralbank.gov.com.cy