DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cheque Clearance

Posted by No longer Online - Created: 8 years ago
0 0

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 8 years ago

Yet more charges from the Alpha Bank. I have an overdraft facility with the Alpha Bank and they are not only content with grabbing interest but also charge €100 a year to review it. I can't wait till October so I can close all my accounts with this rip off bank.

Sorry no image available

Thanks everyone Cheque has finally cleared but it cost £105 what a rip off from the Alpha Bank this has made my mind up to change banks as soon as mortgage is finished (luckily for me in the next few months)

Sorry no image available

Hi Belinda
I have spoken to a few people who have said the same perhaps it may be I should change away from the Alpha Bank.
I have also spoken to people with accounts of other banks and time seems to vary from 2 to 10 weeks, cannot find any reason why

Sorry no image available
Posted by belinda-675574 - 8 years ago

I bank with Laiki and have put many UK cheques in, substantial amounts in some cases. They always give you a clearance date (15-20 working days usually) and as yet they have never been wrong, my money is always in on the date they say.

Sorry no image available

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the reply I was a little worried. I have been to the bank today and they have said the same and if nothing by Wednesday next week they will make enquiries for me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigel Howarth - 8 years ago

Time to clear depends on the value of the cheque - if it's more than €2,000 (I think) it has to be sent to the issuing bank to be cleared. If it's less than €2,000 (I think) it takes around 10 days.

Cheques can take a long time to clear - I received one from the USA that took 6 weeks.

Cheers,