DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

excise free cars

Posted by emba - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigel Howarth - 8 years ago

Hi emba,

The rules for returning Cypriots are slightly different. You can read up on these at http://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/customs/customs.nsf/All/8164079B0D1D7A48C22572CF002022C9?OpenDocument#4

Regards,

Sorry no image available
Posted by emba - 8 years ago

thanks nigel, is the 10 year rule applicable to all?cypriot and non-cypriots?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigel Howarth - 8 years ago

We have a duty-free car - we purchased it when we retired here in 2002.

Basically, you need to keep it for 10 years from the date it was registered in Cyprus to avoid paying the excise duty. Either that or you export it to another country - or keep it in a bonded store.

If you keep it in a bonded store, the time it is there is added to the 10 years I believe.

Should you wish to dispose of the vehicle within 10 years, you will need to repay a proportion of the duty.

REgards,

Sorry no image available
Posted by HProv - 8 years ago

Ok, I have now heard from the managing director of customs. Despite having a certifcate that states that we were entitled to buy a tax free car now that my hubby has left the forces we have to pay the tax back, place the car in a bonded wearhouse , remove the car from the Island or scrap the 3 year old. Thats a bitter enough pill to chew but whats worse is the fact that when we bought the car we were excused 700 cypriot pounds tax nd now we have to pay 1700 euros tax. It has not depreciated its gone up. It crasy and daylight robbery.

Sorry no image available

would be good if you do thanks, but i fail to see how they can get away with it, taxes are initially paid anyway on a new vehicle in Europe ,it comes of here and they are taxed again based on emissions age engine size body type.....cannot be right...be good to know if this can be challenged....and I think it is in contravention of e.u law but still in Cyprus's interest to pay the fines as the rewards are much higher.....hmmmm

Sorry no image available

I agree, I shouldnt have to pay it back , but as yet they have been unable to give me straight answer. I will let you know when I hear from them

Sorry no image available

so you should not have to pay any tax then if you plan to keep the car, so what is the problem?and even if you sell the car why do you need to pay the tax back, an allowance is an allowance in my books, not sure what their logic is in imposing a tax, perhaps to deter people selling on a tax free car here, say they purchased the car for 10,000euro and were allowed an allowance of 5000, and went on to sell it here for 15,000(which i dont think you can do easily anyway as the ministry of transport will pick up on this) the seller would be 5000 richer and the cy tax office 5000euro less better off...cannot think of another reason

Sorry no image available

Unfortunately no, not even the guy who does the tax ! They just assume that everyone who leaves the service will sell the car on. I have now faxed the paperwork to Nicosia tax office and am waiting to here from them, they say they will let me know how much tax I will have to pay.

I really dont think I should have to pay any tax if I keep the car which I intend to do. When serving in Germany we were allowed to buy tax free cars and did not have to give the tax back so long as we kept the car for three years. Cyprus is oh so different!!!

Well I have had my car three years so I will wait to hear from them

we will see

Sorry no image available

ah that is a different story the cy gov. website makes no reference to u. n personnel...does nobody you work/ed with know?

Sorry no image available

Yes attatched to the United Nations you are entitled to buy a tax free car