DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Legal Fees

Posted by Anne Marie-676876 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lime-676998 - 9 years ago

Anna2, I cannot really comment on this situation, but generally speaking I would not have paid more than was was agreed upon. Departure of their lawyer is of little concern to you - there must be a good reason for them to charge you more than what was agreed upon and them lacking a written agreement is their own problem. It is up to them to prove that you owe them particular sum of money for work done, so if they cannot establish anything, you don't have to pay anything on top of what you think you owe them.

On the other hand, one should be careful with lawyers quotes - if the quote is for drafting of an agreement, it does not include any work done on top of it (such as giving you consultations, meeting with other side's lawyers, redrafting the agreement after you've asked them for that etc.). It is important to realize that lawyers are involved in a business - if they tell you a quote, it is based upon their estimates of the difficulty of work involved and they time it would take to do it. If suddenly you ask them to do something on top of the original engagement, they have the full right to treat such work as an extra, since they have not contemplated such additional work when they were giving you an estimate.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anna2-682987 - 9 years ago

if you do not have anything in writing you will have to pay. We agreed a fee of £500cy to have a contract drawn up but when the bill came it was for 1800euros, the lawyer that did it left the company & we had no proof of what was agreed. A bit late now but for anyone else, make sure you get it in writing, if they wont then go elsewhere.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lime-676998 - 9 years ago

Anne Marie, you explanations are rather hard to follow to comment on legality of anything... Why exactly do you thik something is illegal?

catmeister212, depends on the work actually done - I've seen some construction contracts that were over 150 pages long, with numerous detailed annexes and schedules. It wouldn't surprise me if a lawyer would charge a significant amount of money for the time spent working on such a document.

As for general question as to lawyers prices - the fees are either pre-agreed (eg x euros to prepare certain documents and do certain procedures) or time-based (z euros per hour for the time spent on the project). Lawyer cannot just take a figure out of sky and put it on your fee note - if you suspect that figure is ridicules, ask the lawyer for explanation as to how did he arrive at that sum and then compare it with your contract with your lawyer. Any fee that wasn't expressly agreed upon is illegal and you don't have to pay it. If the fee was agreed upon and it is ridicules, you don't have anyone to blame but yourself for agreeing on it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anne Marie-676876 - 9 years ago

When we bought the house the developer used the same lawyer. They just turned up and our lawyer had the contract which his secreatary told me she had just typed up. We thought it was strange, but assumed that was how it was done over here. We issued two cheques over a period of one week directly to the developer although we found out some time later that they had CYpounds 60,000 profit on doing nothing to a house to be renovated. About three months later we were called into the lawyers office to pay a bill for over a thousand Cyprus pounds, and no mention of the developer paying anything. Is this legal?

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

depends who your lawyer is. If you went to a huge a law firm, chances are they will charge and arm and a leg. My company recently got a quote from an international law firm based in Cyprus, 7000 euros for 2 contracts!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by cypssk - 9 years ago

when i bought my flat 5 year ago i paid 250cyp an my developer paid 250cyp hope this helps stephen