DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

New Limit on cigarettes bought in "North" Nicosia?

Posted by Tres-661051 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by VinnyC-673555 - 9 years ago

Spot on Tres,

All restrictions should be displayed. how can anyone know or understand such difficult rules? Before we joined the EU there was a simple notice at the crossing "NO SHOPPING" now there is an and nobody actually understands or knows the allowance because the Cypriot customs "government" don't want you to know YOUR allowance.

I agree with "achilleas" you should ask! as I did when I crossed the boarder to fly to Turkey but you will not get a civil conversation just snappy comments. I think the best way is to ask the experts like "achilleas" who seem to have a private book of rules and a complete understanding of the political, fiscal and EU rules.

I am so pleased the people who don't use the system have such an understanding, bit like the pope on sex!

Sorry no image available
Posted by baxi-666881 - 9 years ago

this is not new , had 200 cigs taken at metehan 2 years ago , they also wanted to fine £20 cy as well , told 20 packet was the limit . we also told them they had no rules displayed at the crossing , it is not only cigs which will be confistated ? . customs on both sides regard it has smuggling .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tres-661051 - 9 years ago

Thanks for your comments, but Achilleas, as the customs lady said as she took away the cigarettes, "This is not a border" when I asked why is there a limit at all and if there is one why isn't it 200 cigarettes like at airports, so why would anyone expect there to be a rule or a law. Are you aware of a law or a rule? I don't think you are as you said "If there is a ruling..." As we all know, the green line is not a "border" it's meant to be a neutral zone which divides the occupied areas from the non-occupied.

If there is to be a limit, people should be advised. People may be critical of anyone visiting the occupied areas and spending money there but if Greek Cypriot politicians and ordinary Greek Cypriots go there and spend money, why should others desist?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 9 years ago

It's just occurred to me that of course a crossing point into the SBA will apply UK regulations; maybe the rules are different at other crossings.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 9 years ago

According to the SBA officers at Ayios Nicolaos last time I came back from Famagusta, your "customs" allowance is exactly the same as when coming into the EU from a non-EU country - currently that's 200 cigarettes. That information may or may not be correct, but that's what I was told. As it happened I hadn't bought anything anyway..........

Graham

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 9 years ago

It is the case of "ignorance of the law is no defence against it".If there is a ruling, then you should ask to find out.