DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ombudsman

Posted by suzie22 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by keimarl - 7 years ago

Now there is this Ombudsman. How can he be contacted. Do we have a web site, tel or email for this department.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigel Howarth - 8 years ago

A quick update on the situation - Cyprus is to get a Financial Ombudsman - on the 8th July the Parliament agreed to the appointment. See http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers.com/2010/07/09/cyprus-to-get-financial-ombudsman/id=005317

Regards,

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cmac - 8 years ago

Hi Suzie, May I ask if you contacted the Ombudsman office in Nicosia. If you did was it any use or if not did you find any other useful information re banking ombudsman.

I have a query which will require the help of some type of financial regulator and would be grateful for any help in this matter.

Kind regards Cmac

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigel Howarth - 8 years ago

Unfortunately, Cyprus does not have a financial /banking ombudsman - although they have been talking about it for many years. Someone I know wrote to the ombudswoman about their bank, here is her reply:

According to the Commissioner for Administration Laws, the Ombudsman investigates complaints referring to instances of maladministration in the activities of specific public administrative authorities and officials. This prerequisite is not fulfilled in your case, since your complaint is directed against the company "**** ** ******". Furthermore, your complaint refers to a dispute that falls in the domain of private law and, as such, it comes under the exclusive jurisdiction of the Court. Therefore, I regret to inform you that I have no jurisdiction to investigate your complaint.

I remain at your disposal for any other matter that falls within my jurisdiction.

Sincerely

Eliana Nicolaou

If you want to complain to the ombudswoman, I suggest you complain that the government has not established a financial /banking ombudsman office.

Regards,

Sorry no image available
Posted by connor-670505 - 8 years ago

Ombudsmans Office.....tel Nicosia 405500...405501....405507....405551

Very friendly people and more than helpful.