DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Planning Permission for a conservatory?

Posted by junemichael - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by journo-666338 - 9 years ago

There are hundreds of restaurants on the island that have managed to get away with 'conservatory-type' extensions - without planning permission - and based on the 'temporary structure' premise. They use wooden frames for the doors/windows that are not set into any foundations.

Appeals have been made to the municipalities for a number of these to be declared illegal structures without planning permission and the applications have been denied.

I have contact with a group of property owners who would love to know how to get two of these restaurant structures declared illegal and demoslished, since they have been built in contravention not just of planning laws but of the general sales agreement for their building. One even has bricks, is clearly cemented into the ground, and has a tiled roof, yet the local authority refuses to do anything about it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JCGX-689138 - 9 years ago

Even a shed needs planning permission. I know of sheds having to come down and even a garage. You know you have to have planning permission for a conservatory.

Sorry no image available
Posted by junemichael - 9 years ago

We were told it depends on the type of conservatory. If it has a brick base wall and then windows on top then this would need planning permission but an all glass structure wouldn't. Need to find out for sure if anyone knows please?

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Hi June Michael,

Unless the rules have changed in the last two years then the answer is yes. We extended our conservatory and needed planning consent, that was in 2007/08.

I agree with Nigel a conservatory is defined as a permanent structure and treated as living space. So as it is tied by brickwork or bolted to your house it is therefore not removable and classed as part of the building.

Using your shed analogy one could argue all buildings are removable, given a crane and wrecking ball, but I doubt the authorities would take the same view. I certainly wouldn't rely on that as my defence.

Johnners

Sorry no image available
Posted by junemichael - 9 years ago

A conservatory is not a permanent structure, it is like a shed it is removable.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigel Howarth - 9 years ago

Most probably yes - It's a permanent structureand you are increasing the habitable area of the property.

Regards,