DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Stand off with developers !!

Posted by JANEDREW - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JANEDREW - 9 years ago

Thank you jonner i will do so asap and have taken the advise from everyone who replied thank you so much please keep in touch and we will of course keep you informed as to what happens many thanks !!

Sorry no image available

Thank you crprus doger so much for your reply it has given us some hope we will obtain other solicitor advise other than these ones here in Paphos who seem to tell us that there is nothing we can do even with regards to the assault he told us that the developer would possibly only get a small fine !! and told not to do it again !!! I am about go go on that line to search please keep in touch and we will keep you informed as to proceeding's many thanks again

Sorry no image available

Dear Nigel thank you so much for your reply ,we will do as advised ,we spoke with another solicitor from paphos who told us that there is nothing we can do that the delevolper would prob only get a small fine and a slap on the wrist !!! some justice eh !! please keep in touch and we will keep you informed as to how things develop many thanks again .

Sorry no image available

Dear Douglas 1 thank you for your information regarding our dilemma it has given us a wee lift to know someone out there has even taken the trouble to reply ,we went to seek other advise from another solicitor here in pathos whom ,proceeded to tell us that there is nothing we can do ,with regards to the common assault he told us that the developer would maybe get a small fine and told not to do it again , !!! we will be seeking more advise and looking into finding a solicitor possibly from Nicossa we are just so frustrated nothing here seems to be as promised there does not seen to be anything to protect us or people in general ,they seem to be a law onto themselves , but thank you once again for your advise please keep in touch we will of course do the same and will let you know how things procced many thanks again ,

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 9 years ago

Jane,

I can only echo the thoughts of Nigel, Douglas & Cyprus Dodger.

You need to move on all the points mentioned as soon as possible.

Also: Do you have the name of the officer in question? You need from the police at least a written statement and to get it asap.

Johnner

Sorry no image available
Posted by cyprus-dodger - 9 years ago

I would personally take the case for assault all the way to the courts, yes Nigel is right dump your current Lawyer and get another one from different city maybe Nicosia seek out the list of Lawyers as Nigel has suggested and go for it - the assault on you is disgraceful and not acceptable under any set if circumstances.

After your new Lawyer has enter court action against this individual/company you will soon get the matter resolved, they will be all over you to get it sorted without court action, money back and move on.

Hopefully you get enough money back and you can get another property in Cyprus from a decent company, don't be put off, all the Cyprus developers are not bad, but be careful.

dodger

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigel Howarth - 9 years ago

Hi Janedrew

I'm sorry to hear of the problem with your developer. Clearly your lawyer is a waste of space and I suggest you dispense with his services a.s.a.p. and get another lawyer to help you sort things out. And as Douglas has suggested, complain to the Cyprus Bar Association in writing - see http://www.cyprusbarassociation.org/cms_detail.php?page_id=29 for details

The British High Commission in Nicosia publishes a list of just eight lawyers in the south of the island that you can find in my magazine at http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers.com/2009/11/23/finding-lawyers-in-cyprus/id=002254

Do you know why the Police didn't bring charges of assault against your attacker?

Regards,

Sorry no image available
Posted by douglas1-676196 - 9 years ago

,I am very sorry to hear about your nighmare scenario and I hope I can help a little with your predicament.In answer to your question is this the normal way for Developers to behave I would say no but recommend that you visit this link to give you a clear picture of what is going on regarding property problems http://www.girltalk.pcs-net.com/b2/ . With regards to your Lawyer you should complain to the Cyprus Law Society use this link http://www.cypruslawsociety.com/ .But also seek future support from a Lawyer from Nicosia who is less likely to be involved with any local developers.

With regards to the Developers common assult you should also make your new Lawyer, if you obtain one in Nicosia, to be fully aware of the assult charges and do not withdraw your complaint,if the Developer pays back your money with interest you may wish to reconsider the assult charges, especially if you intend to return home after your negative experience.

I would also suggest you contact the Cyprus Mail anf the Paphoa Post to see if they will be interested in reporting your case to the general public as they have previously reported another Developer attacking a man who was buying a property from them.I hope my comments will be of some assistence to you and I wish you luck for the future.

Douglas