Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Third nationals

Posted by HProv - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cypruseagle - 8 years ago

Once students have been here for 6 months they are legally entitled to work. 20 hours per week during term time and 40 in holidays. They need to sign a contract of employment and the employer needs to register them at the Labour office.

There is a document available with jobs specific areas available from the labour office

Sorry no image available
Posted by lime-676998 - 8 years ago

I agree with Spanner. You can work with student permit, but only subject to numerous conditions/qualifications. There should be leaflets at the migration department, which list these conditions/qualifications.

Furthermore, you cannot have both work permit and student permit - it is either one or the other. To get a work permit, your employer must apply, but it is generally too expensive and takes too long so they do not bother themselves.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Spanner-666908 - 8 years ago

Third country students are allowed to work, but only in certain jobs and only for so many hours a week.

If you are studying at a half way decent college/university, they should be able to give you all the information you need.

Sorry no image available
Posted by HProv - 8 years ago

Yes but many say they have a work permit so how do we know

Sorry no image available
Posted by HProv - 8 years ago

and do they get that work permit themselves or do you as an employer get that for them

and what happens when u nolonger employ them can they go back to be being a student ,

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 8 years ago

Students are not allowed to work unless they have a work permit.