DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Unemployment benefit

Posted by gordies - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by willipup - 8 years ago

and from what I've heard they take several months to even give you that

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigel Howarth - 8 years ago

Hi willipup,

And the unemployment benefit you can claim in Cyprus is very limited and you will only receive it for a few months.

Regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigel Howarth - 8 years ago

Hi gordies,

As far as I'm aware there is no equivalent in Cyprus of the UK Job Seeker Allowance.

Regards,

Sorry no image available
Posted by kazanddave - 8 years ago

You wont be able to claim from the Cyprus government, but may get something from the UK.

I copied and pasted this for you, from jsa.gov.uk

Jobseeker's Allowance

Information about contribution-based and income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) if you are moving or living abroad.

Contribution-based JSA

Youcannot usually get contribution-based JSA outside the EEA. However, youmay be able to get contribution-based JSA in the EEA for up to threemonths if you:

are entitled to contribution-based JSA on the day you go abroadhave registered as a jobseeker for at least four weeks before you leaveare available for work and actively seeking work in Great Britain up to the day you leaveare going abroad to look for workregister for work at the equivalent of a Jobcentre in the country you are going tocomply with the other country's rules on registering and looking for workIncome-based JSA

If you are going abroad permanently you cannot get income-based JSA.

You cannot usually get income-based JSA if your stay abroad is only temporary.

Check with your local Jobcentre office if you need to fill in any forms before you go abroad.

Sorry no image available
Posted by willipup - 8 years ago

Sorry but I don't think so. You can only claim unemployment benefits in Cyprus if you have worked for minimum 6 months and paid your all of your social insurance contribution.