DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

VAT Reclaim

Posted by Greece28 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigel Howarth - 8 years ago

There is a new Citizen Service Centre inPaphos. It is on Butcher Boy (Maispa) road opposite Cuchina & Cuchinakitchen shop, just before the school.

Regards,

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigel Howarth - 8 years ago

You can find details of the VAT Scheme on my website at http://www.cyprus-property-buyers.com/law/vat-regulations.htm

and a partially translated form for claiming a VAT refund at http://www.cyprus-property-buyers.com/files/vat-refund-form.pdf

If you have problems completing it, there are Citizens Service Centres that will help you. You can find their addresses at: http://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/MOF.nsf/DMLkep_en/DMLkep_en?OpenDocument

Regards,

Nigel

Sorry no image available
Posted by chill-696738 - 8 years ago

Hi
We have been trying to get our VAT back for 9 months and have put the matter in the hands of our Lawyers, the contractors who built our house did not have a Cyprus Building Licence so we signed a form and paid a Cypriot Builder who had a license £6000 and he subcontracted our builders to work for him, we duly paid all VAT demands to this subcontractor and have all relevant receipts for the amounts. However the Cyprus builder will not sign the VAT claim form as he says he didn't build the house, what can we do now as the Lawyer is doing nothing to help us, any advice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by car&stef - 8 years ago

hi can anyone tell me where in paphos to get the application form in english??

i have a form but its all in greek.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PEDS111 - 9 years ago

Following on from this thread does anybody know if there is a maximum amount that can be reclaimed from VAT,and how long does it take to process?

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristineG-661182 - 9 years ago

Hi,

We just put our application in via Limassol Citizens Advise Centre, who were very helpful. The form was filled in by our deve,loper and architect who didnt charge us for the privilege!

Re applying for residency before you can claim VAT back, the answer is yes you must, as you need to show your 'pink' slip or at least give an ID card number, as you cannot claim this back unless you prove you are a permanent resident. The pink slip can take months to get so I am afraid you need to do this before the government gives you your VAT payment.

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by HappyH - 9 years ago

We were recently charged for this. We were charged 50euros. We thought it sounded ridiculous but were told that this is commonplace! I dont suppose we can do anything about it now.

I have another question on the matter, is it imperative that we have applied for our residency before sending in our VAT refund application? It is very difficult for me to get the time off work to do this and we really want to get our application in asap.

Finally, a hypothetical question. If someone were to claim their VAT and then move out of Cyprus within 10 years, how would it be known that they were no longer living in the property/country? And am I right in thinking you would pay back a proportional amount, ie. if you lived in it for 8 years then moved back, you would pay back 20% of the refund? If this is the case, would you be able to pay in installments or would they demand a lump sum payment? We were just wondering as surely there will be many people who intend to live here permanently (ourselves included), but whose circumstances may change, meaning they leave Cyprus. Would like to know all the facts just in case.

Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by harisv - 9 years ago

That's very lame on behalf of the developer. They sold you a house that probably cost two to three thousand euros and they still want to make more money? Shame on them.

How much it is the charge by the way? I would probably accept (but not like and be annoyed) a nominal processing fee of 20-30 euros, but that would be still lame on their behalf.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Greece28 - 9 years ago

Thanks Nigel

Sorry no image available
Posted by Greece28 - 9 years ago

Thanks Chris, You have confirmed our thoughts