Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


wat can i do to get paid

Posted by kevtina-687074 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 9 years ago

As long as you can prove that you have been working for them, go to the labour office in your town. This sort of attitude by some companies should not be allowed.

Also, have they been paying your social insurance contributions?? If you have got a SI number, then go to the local office and check it - they (Government) will be very upset if they have not been.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mystic - 9 years ago

Kevtina, You can go to your local labour office and ask to speak to somebody for advice on employer disputes. If you are in Limassol, it is on the third floor, other districts you will have to ask exactly where to go.

I have found them in the past to be very helpful. Don't go in screaming and shouting, keep your manners, explain the situation, and ask if they can help you. It has worked successfully for me on several occasions (yes this is a regular problem in Cyprus). It has also not helped at all for others who I know, whose attitude was to go in screaming and shouting at the officer, and slagging off everything about Cyprus. This will get you nowhere.

You will need to have your social insurance number and maybe details of payments made, you can usually get that at the reception area (In Limassol this is on the ground floor, first doors on the right as you enter from the front of the building), just give them you SI number and ask for a history print-out.

If you employer has not been paying your social insurance either, then he will have some explaining to do as this is ilegal.

Please bear in mind that these kind of empoyers do not like you going to seek help via the Labour Office, and you will likely lose your job for doing so (they will think up any excuse to fire you), however, you should get paid what you are due with the help of the officer.

Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yoshik - 9 years ago

Legal advice normally costs money and its cost will probably far outweigh the money recovered if there is any recovery at all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by baxi-666881 - 9 years ago

go get some legal advice .

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yoshik - 9 years ago

I suspect you have not long been with the company. If so the answer is I am afraid simple yet unpalatable.

Cut your loses and run and this kind of behaviour is endemic with some employers, and they will not change whatever you do.