DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Another Rip Off in Limassol

Posted by Relocating - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Relocating - 8 years ago

Here is my reply!!!!

Dear Ms ******

I acknowledge receipt of your telefax letter dated 17th September 2010, with regard to the prices you and your friend were charged in ***** bar (Limassol), on Sep. 11th.

As you may know all licensed restaurant, bar etc establishments are obliged under law to issue price catalogues. These catalogues are submitted to CTO to receive an official CTO stamp and MUST then be displayed at a prominent and unobstructed position at the establishment entrance, thus being available to interested consumers to consult, prior to entering and taking up a seat. Furthermore, price catalogues MUST be available at the establishment premises for consumers to consult and place their orders accordingly. Thirdly, the establishment MUST issue a receipt with analysis of items consumed, price per item and total amount due. Failure by any establishment to comply with any of the above constitutes violation of the relevant legislation, for which the CTO may take legal action. However, please note that in the laissez-faire, minimum state intervention environment of the E.U, of which Cyprus is of course a member state, enterprises are free to determine the prices of their goods and services and it is up to the market forces of demand and supply, ie the consumer, to dictate the degree of success/failure of any enterprise.

At the absence of the receipt (please submit one if you have/wish), thus solely based on your description of drinks and beverages consumed, we have attempted to match the items consumed and price you paid, with the establishment's issued price catalogue, to speculate on whether your unfortunate experience is an issue of Law violation (in which case CTO may step in) or an example of a bar (legally) charging high prices. From the bar's submitted catalogue we could not exactly identify the itemsyou consumed. Our best aproximation is:

Ice-choco late Baileys (could this be the Baileys frappe you mention?) EURO 9
Soft drink (Diet Coke?) EURO 5
White-OREO chocolate coffee (cappuccino coffee??) EURO 8

The above consumption would constitute a EURO 31 total bill, in line with the establishment's price catalogue and with the amount you had to pay.

I take this opportunity to make it absolutely clear to you that CTO is indeed concerned with the level of prices charged at many restaurants, bars, cafeterias around the island, for selected items. We are constantly advising/suggesting/consulting enterprises, both individually and collectively though their Associations, for restraint and self regulation in the level of set prices. Furthermore, we are monitoring the degree of satisfaction of tourists with the price levels of food and beverages consumed on the island. This monitoring takes the form of both local market research (Annual Tourist Barometer Research), as well as international research (British Post Office survey and website consumer sites). The results suggest that in some items (bottled water, coffee etc) Cyprus is indeed comparatively expensive, HOWEVER there are items (eg a meal for 4 persons with wine) for which Cyprus is one of the cheapest destinations in the Mediterranean.

Best Regards!

Marinos Menelaou

Sorry no image available
Posted by PEDS111 - 8 years ago

Suprise surprise, keep trying!!!!!

Sorry no image available

I have now faxed the CTO 2x and guess what??!! I have not received a reply.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PEDS111 - 8 years ago

Refuse to pay!

Sorry no image available

Sophia,

I am a fully qualified hotel manager (with over 35 years experience) and know about pricing but to expect the profit they are gaining is a tad!! overboard, after all this is Cyprus tourist area not a St Tropez beachbar.

I think I will write to the CTO and express my views.

It is such a shame as the CTO are working so hard at trying to raise tourism in the country but there are a few who are ruining their efforts.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SophiaX-697245 - 8 years ago

Hi relocating

According to the Croc magazine there are guidance of prices for beer, coffee etc. It says that "If you feel you have a genuine grievance contact the CT0 ( Cyprus Tourism Organisation) on 22-691100 fax no 22-337857. The CTO are there to protect you."

I have in fact previously helped a Taverna owner create a menu. The CTO stamp it off when they agree the prices etc. The prices on the menu are all they are allowed to charge. I do hope you take it further. It's a crime what they're doing. S

Sorry no image available

Sophia, I did actually name the bar but it was removed from here, no, there were no menus outside but as Stellaluna said when ordering such insignificant items you would expect to be able to afford it. I would expect to pay high prices for a bottle of whiskey or wine and would definitely look at the menu for these but frappe, coke and coffee??? In our local coffeeshop this would have been no more than 15 euro.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kazanddave - 8 years ago

Dont be afraid to walk out if the prices are steep.
They do this no front menu thing on purpose

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 8 years ago

Price lists and menus are often not on display. Many times I suppose I've sat down and ordered, say, two small beers, or a beer and a coke.

You sort of assume you can afford this. Then you're sometimes ripped off. I suppose we should ALWAYS remember to ask for the menu before we order anything.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SophiaX-697245 - 8 years ago

People should be warned where you can be ripped off. That experience should not be repeated. I wish you had been more specific to where the bar was without actually naming it. It's a great pity, and that's why everyone is leaving.