DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Goodbye Orphanides & Carrefour - Hello Lidl

Posted by K13Ruane - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jackiemou@live.com - 8 years ago

i went there for a second time, my family have now tried and tested some of the goods, and we all agree they are cheap and good. bit cheeky charging for the carrier bags, but still cant be perfect

Sorry no image available
Posted by CyprusElvis - 8 years ago

Now that would be a dream come true if Asda came here one of the only things I miss about UK lol

Sorry no image available

i wish tesco or asda would open then i would say farewell to the others. lol

Sorry no image available

dont agree with you, orphanides is far better, and alfa mega , maybe there stu/ff is a little more but they are always freash and clean

Sorry no image available
Posted by alby-664765 - 8 years ago

Been to Lidl so staying with Orphanides.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jamesmum2010 - 8 years ago

We went to the one in Limassol last week and I was a little disappointed some things were cheaper and some weren't. I was also disappointed to see that you can buy some things in there that you can also buy in the other supermarkets at the same price. However, I'll go again and stock up on the cheap things.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 8 years ago

Well, sort of; some things ARE cheaper at Lidl, but by no means all. Today we deliberately split our weekly shop over Lidl and Carrefour (where we usually shop) and found some interesting comparisons. For example, tinned tomatoes, orange juice, tonic water and sliced bread were cheaper at Lidl, but frozen prawns, pitta and roasted peanuts cheaper at Carrefour. Carrefour's fruit & veg was a lot cheaper - cucumbers about half the price of Lidl's, and fresh local tomatoes, in beautiful condition, at 44 cents a kilo while Lidl's tomatoes were 1 Euro 49 a kilo - over 3 times the price! We'll probably treat Lidl as we did Aldi in UK - once every 3 weeks or so to stock up on orange juice and the like, and a visit if they have any well-priced specials (such as the breadmakers they were doing in opening week). But no use as a regular weekly shop, I'm afraid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 8 years ago

I have to agree that I also was very disappointed with both selection and prices when I did a recce on Saturday. Most items I usually buy were not even sold, nor were there equivalents. Nescafe was dearer than I pay elsewhere and what they did have appeared to be similarly priced or were cheaper brands anyway. Cleaning materials may have been good value for money - but I get through minimal amounts of thise anyway and I believe they had a good value coke equivalent!! No, not impressed apart from, of all things, they appeared to have some good value frozen prawns!! Oh yes 0 their chicken breasts were I think on a par with carrefour. Sorry Lidl ... until choice improves I won't be going back just for your apparently good value bakery.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rockabillyRebel - 8 years ago

ive been ti Lidle but the variety of items & selection is limited unlike the main superstores like Carefour. And the main brands they dont have. Belive it or not they didnt even have the basic cleaning essential BLEACH liquid. so the company is far behind yet

Sorry no image available
Posted by pales6 - 8 years ago

Where in Cyprus is one :)