DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Be aware!

Posted by soph-678689 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by linda m r - 8 years ago

Bavers sorry that your first impressions of cyprus have been so bad, we dont seem to have a leg to stand on as far as the law is concerned do we, we are off to the police station tomorrow but expect no response same as you, does anyone know a good solicitor because that will be our next step, also once again does anyone know of anyone whom this has happened to because we hae been told there are at least twenty other people in this area whom they are giving fines to. if only i could et in contact with them perhaps we could do something in numbers

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bavers-695528 - 8 years ago

Hummm..having on just arrived in Cyprus 5 weeks ago, i find all this crime and 'ripping ' people off rather disconcerting...and i fear it will only get worse. you see theifs are also in clever disguise, we have a mental picture of the black and white hooped jumper with a dick turpin style mask..but take heed.

I came out here to do a 3/6mth recce with the intention of moving my fiancee over in september. so to keep costs down i applied to an advert on this site for a housemate...250 amonth plus bills happy days..so i thought, incesant barking of dogs day and night plus an hours walk to the harbour. so after two weeks of no sleep i asked to move out.

I had paid my ' landlady' 250 deposit which i wired out from the U.K, and upon arrival i paid her two weeks in cash to take me to the end of April. [plus bills inc b/band which i didnt really need..or expect], come ist of May i paid another 300 inc of bills, i asked for a 'contract' so i could bank my sterling as i was not allowed a lock on my door, Whats that all about?

So in a nutshell two days after paying May..i decided i had enough of no sleep and inconsiderate neighbours..Mrs Landlady then refused to return mays payment and my deposit...which i needed to put down on an appt. as i am on a strict budget. 550 of very hard earnt savings down the pan..is a nasty kick up the was names ...would have suffered may [reluctantly ]as i moved out on the 8th and broke my non existant contract but to keep my deposit, well it really upset me..bigtime its a blasted room only [no t.v or home comforts]...and now she has turned real nasty... I went to the police..just laughed me off..plus...she is ENGLISH and has a business in Pafos.so beware...always use an agent. it just sickens me that she can call the shots knowing it would take me years to drag her through the courts..some legal system we have here.. in fact it has made me want to go home what with the fact its almost impossible to find work....well over 4 euros an hour. I think legislations are the order of the day..but i won't be beaten...yet but people are doing a damm good job trying to make me leave. the say money is the root of all evil?

I fear for my fiancee as she is naive and vunerable, so i will have to stand over her 24hrs a day... i wish i could name and shame this women, but judging by what ive seen and heard i would be extradited off the island, or have to hide round the curtains for fear of repercusions...shame, its a beautiful island hidding behind an ugly and corrupt mask...GRRRRRRR thanks for reading this, it feels good to let off some steam!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by linda m r - 8 years ago

Hi all, I live in the peyia area and although i have not been burgled as such, we have had someone come to our property and interfere with our water meter, we knew nothing about it until the local water board just came and took the meter away, when we went to the offices to find out what was going on they handed us a fine of 850 euros they told us that this has happened to over 20 other english households in this area and we would like to hear if anybody knows od someone it has happened to. and what we can do about it obviously they are saying that we done it ourselves and as we cant prove it we are stuck with a fine for this amount to be paid within 15 days or they will take us to court, in the meantime we have no water supply please could someone help us with advice

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 8 years ago

It used to be the way of life not too long ago. IN the UK even it was not necessary to lock everything up. Banks ven accepted cheques without guarantee cards like they still do here inh good old Cyprus. Put in a nutshell people used tohave respect for others in the so caled civilised world. Sadly this is no longer the case. Shame upon Cyprus once so caled civilisation and modern ways get here - as it is all a backwards downhil step with total lack of trust and respect. Long may Cyprus continue to uphold the good old values of society.

Being an island and most people knowing most others - even related to them - a criminal was until recently very unlikely to get very far - hence traditions linger on

When in the UK nowadays I have to remember to trust nobody - a sad reflection on the UK is what I always think

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ulterior - 8 years ago

I've been living since 2009 January in CY and still can not understand how can anyone leave the car or a home unlocked at night. It's just insane seeing an open window of a car while walking at 3 a.m to home.

What do you expect? That everyone is living as a monk/nun? There was also a joke I remember from the old days where there was a jump in security company earning in some Scandinavian country, which turned out to be from an increased sales of locks and alarm systems, because nobody had locked doors there before.

LOL

Sorry no image available
Posted by roxyboo - 8 years ago

sorry to here about you thefts.iv been security engineer most of my working life in england.there are cameras over here which are not exspencive to buy easy to install.they bark like adog or talk .take picture as well .easy to down load info from camera to computer. they just look like a spot light..

Sorry no image available

"How the other half lives" and "Secret Millionaire" should be compulsory viewing for all!! The former to see how the young can be so easily influenced by what they see around them and the latter to see how often the well off have their previously held beliefs shattered. I'd contend that crime is more often a result of necessity and incorrect, invalid and unreal expectations and beliefs rather than mere greed. Social expectations and family respect requires fundamental re-education. Glad to hear I'm not the only believer that honesty, smiles, compassion, kindness etc. can be used to help re-educate society i.e you and me - US.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Khadijah-695409 - 8 years ago

It is a great shame that this is happening here in Cyprus. We have to take more care these days wherever we are. It is a problem that will not just go away.Im very glad that no one was hurt in your burglary Soph. I have actually encountered more crime on a personal level in this country than in the UK where I lived for 37 years. This is my third year living here and I had almost forgotten what sirens sounded like while I still lived in Pafos, but now in the evenings and late nights/early mornings police chasing speeding cars/motorbikes has become normal background noise here in Limassol where I have been living for the last 6 months. Well said Andrew, hear hear!! I totally agree, society is at fault and we cannot afford to lay the blame at anyones door but our own. Respect for others begins and ends at home and comes from the family you are brought up in and the society you live in. We have to take responsibility and help those more in need than ourselves. Each person you help by your good attitude, smiling, giving money or giving away unwanted/unneeded things rather than selling or hoarding make their lives and your life better. We need to show this attitude to our children so that they learn to appreciate what they have and what others dont have. The gap is widening between the haves and the have nots and, lets be honest, we often have much much more than we really need. Look after yourself, your family and help those around you to make this a safer place to live again.

Sorry no image available

I don't think it has anything to do with "too many .." of anythings but rather more to do with society's faults in raising the expectations of the young and others to unachievable levels through unthought out political rhetoric and political correctness. In the UK we have gone through a period of Univeristy for All without any thought being given to student's qualifications and potential employment prospects. Now we have the ridiculous situation of 'educated' youngsters unemployed and then they become unemployable. This is OUR fault. WE have created a high youth unemployment situation and then we expect them to fend for themselves, say they are old enough to vote, don't give them manual and technical training or apprenticeships and THEN we wonder why we have a crime and drug problem. If we then take a similar line with EU entry and apply similar arguments to our domestic UK situation we merely compound the problems. HOWEVER, to BLAME the EU or "too many .." is to miss the point entirely. Guess it goes with our belief in risk free society, risk free lives (both unachievable and probably undesirable too) combined with nanny-stateism and a PC rife world we live in. We could always try a different tack and HELP the young, HELP the less-well-off, Work for removing poverty, ensuring ALL have a minimum standard and then we may reduce crime. We need to re-evaluate the desire to offer higher education to all with the consequences, the lack of training as was once provided in the old Technical Colleges with the shortage os skilled craftsmen and technicians, the lack of apprenticeships with the rise in unemployed manual workers etc etc etc etc etc etc but NO NO NO to blaming the EU for everything - blame us, blame society at large, let US take responsibility - after all, we elect the politicians!!!!!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by kazanddave - 8 years ago

I wouldn't buy from them either, but some people do.