DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Canadian moving to Cyprus looking 4 help?

Posted by Johnnie Canuck - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Khadijah-695409 - 9 years ago

Sorry first website address should have been http://www.cyprusnet.com/.:-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Khadijah-695409 - 9 years ago

Hi,It gets smaller the longer you live here, lol. You must have a sense of humour, not be impatient, like to be grimaced at and understand why tomorrow is soon enough most of the time. Cyprus has a lot of pros and cons. The weather is one of the pros and you will discover the cons yourself :-) like we all have. You have consumer rights as long as you dont want your money back or a faulty item replaced. They have joined the EU but, well! The bureaucracy is English based but Cypriot managed :-$. As long as you are paying for it there will be smiles aplenty but when you want something back, forget it. This country has representatives from nearly every other country in the world living here and is a great cultural hotch potch at ground level, though dont expect to be served by a Cypriot in a restaurant :-) Enjoy but dont expect paradise, relaxation goes hand in hand here with great lumps of unexpected and usually unnecessary stress. Love the place but would have to leave to get a real job with real wages, lol.My husband and I are based in Limassol so feel free to ask if you need help. Visit http://www.cypruspharmacy.com/ and http://www.cyprusnet.org/ for info as well as http://www.cyprus.gov.cy/I hope this helps.Khadijah

Sorry no image available
Posted by fillipe - 9 years ago

By the way.... Canuck...you must be from Vancouver!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by fillipe - 9 years ago

Hi Johnnie,

Further to previous entries....think very carefully about your move..please! 6 months is a good idea. I lived in Canada for a while and i worked for an Arabic company for 10 years, when i lived in the UK and travelled frequently to the Middle East, so we have some common ground. Nothing will prepare you for CYPRUS! The Middle East and Cyprus are completely different. As FastJack said it's not all doom and gloom...there are a few good aspects to living in Cyprus. I don't want to say too much because for some, Cyprus is great and for others, it's not so great. 6 years ago, i had a choice.....to either move to the Middle East or Cyprus. For me personally, i made the wrong decision!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Johnnie Canuck - 9 years ago

I thank you all for your advice, all very good.

I think we will adjust quite well as i said we travel to europe a lot and love the more relaxed lifestyle. Also I have been working international for over ten years so I have some familiarity with life in the middle east and africa but am sure it will be very different once a guy moves and lives there.

Either way we know there will be many challenges but feel the rewards will be well worth it.

We hope to travel to Cyprus in the next couple months, scout out locations, arrange a place to rent and then move before winter returns to canada, hopefully we move sooner than that.

Perhaps when we we arrive we can meet and have a coffee, beer, dinner whatever.

many thanks again

Sorry no image available
Posted by cypruskit - 9 years ago

As an American living here in Cyprus for 18 years, in reading previous comments I see that others have made some valid points. Moving out here from North America will definitely be a culture shock. However, after that initial shock is over (took me about 10 years :)), you will really start to enjoy living here with the laid back attitude.

Once you learn to 'accept', the crazy drivers (although from what I saw, in Canada there are some very annoying drivers out there as well), the plumber or electrician with appointments not showing up and the hierarchy of administration policies, you will be able to enjoy the guaranteed weather and laid back lifestyle.

You will like it here but be careful not to spend too much money on something that will 'tie' to down in a particular location, until you know for sure where you want to settle.

I have sent you a separate email with my personal information if you would like to contact me for anything in particular regarding your important move.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Johnnie Canuck - 9 years ago

thanks all, I have visited before and we travel to europe every year so we have some experience.

We have no kids and I work overseases on rotation in the middle east so Cyprus would be a great base for my days off and place for the wife to relax. I like the idea of trying a lease for 6 months as one should able to find exactly where to live in that time.

Please keep the great advice coming!

much appreciated

Sorry no image available
Posted by fastjack - 9 years ago

Hi Johnnie,

Think twice before you take a plunge. If you haven't I would come here for a long stay first.

You say this is your first time abroad. It's different from North America here. I always found the term "new world" very applicable, at least in the sense that North America is pretty much a whole different world. You're in for a roller coaster ride. It's not all doom and gloom, Cyprus is beautiful relatively safe in most parts and the stability of weather is just tremendous. Though like most things in life you win some, you loose some, nothing comes without it's price.

You can give up on looking for professionals because the word don't exist in the Mediterranean and you will quickly learn that asking different people even within the same agency or gov department will bear different results. You're best off asking as many different people as possible, maybe others have better opinions/experiences with such things.

send me an email directly and I can give you my contact details if you would like to discuss.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andyp-695384 - 9 years ago

I think I need to go back to shools myself!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andyp-695384 - 9 years ago

I enjoy Cyprus but I only stay there for about 4 months per year. The people,but not the so called professionals,are great and very hospitable.

If I were you I would only rent for 6 months. If you sign a two year lease and find your ideal home you will need to find a new tenant or pay the full 2 years rent on the existing house.

Plenty of golf resorts and probably the Paphos area has most UK ex pats.

If you have kids you want to have acces to shools,docs and hospitals. Not a great ambulance service, non existant in places. You really need to be able to get there on your own.

Employment prospects not great and wages low.

Not a great deal of crime compared to uk or even London!

I assume you have visited before? Long way to come if you don't like it and can't find work.

Andy