DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

cyprus national anthem

Posted by middlesbroughfc-Nik09- - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by harisv - 9 years ago

middlesbroughfc-Nik09: Just to clarify, maybe I didn't phrase it right. What I am suggesting is a new anthem that both Greek and Turkish Cypriots can indentify with. I also think that it should produced in both languages with the same meaning.

BTW, I am Greek Cypriot and I know the current anthem's meaning, which unfortunately doesn't have something for the Turks to identify with. Any solution structure (part of it is the anthem) should make both heritages feel equal and respected, otherwise, the country is going to fall apart again (I really hope not).

Sorry no image available
Posted by middlesbroughfc-Nik09- - 9 years ago

i agree! u see u admited it ther is a cypriot dialect, language whatever u want 2 call it ok admited isnt spoken much at all apart from our yiayiades and papoudes.and yes greek. ok cyprus is greek heritage but so is america to england and europe but u say 2 aerican your english ther most likely 2 chop your head off. but yh this is a independent country called cyprus with turks and cypriots and ther is no way turkey will agree to a solution if we dont change our national anthem 2 suit both the sides(me personaly am from kerynia) and i think a cypriot national anthem would be good for the country and make us more independant.harisv thats a gd idea but part of the anthem says apta cocala vgalmeni ton ellinon to iera means- the bones that are taken out from the greek (iera not sure how 2 explain that lol-sorry) and turks would simply say wer not greek wer turkish as neither are we, we are cypriot

Sorry no image available
Posted by harisv - 9 years ago

Well is a this a big topic, even the politicians cannot agree. However, the fact of the matter is that Cyprus (The republic of) was founded to be an independent country consisting of people with Greek and Turkish heritage. When a solution is hopefully reached, I will expect a new national anthem acknowledging both heritages which would serve as a uniting point for both (perhaps have both a Greek and Turkish version on the same tune). As far the flag is concerned, I don't see any reason to be changed, as it neutral to both Greek and Turkish heritages.

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

lol stellaluna

let me correct your modern greek with Cypriot!:

Einai kalo yia to stomachi - aka in Cypriot = En kalo yia to stomaSHi

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 9 years ago

I'm actually Scottish, but have picked up some dialect - I suggest for a start:

Ela re koumbare

Areski mou to panjari

Areskoun mou ta shilouthkia

Tzai salata tzai strouthoukia

Halloumi tzai souvlaki

Einai kalo yia to stomachi

H souvla omos pikri

Yia tin cholesterini

Sorry no image available

Cypriot dialect mainly came from old villages, and is a mix of Arabic, Turkish, ancient & modern Greek. Words/phrases such as "Inta havarka", "Mashala", "Je" (instead of "kai"), "lallo" "nam bou kamnis" are considered as slang and not part of the Modern Greek dictionary. If you want to be taken seriously in a professional work field then one would need to speak Modern Greek here.

Modern Greek is the first official language here. There is no such thing as "official old greek dialect" as you say. There are two official greek languages, Ancient Greek (like Latin, a dead language) & Modern Greek. There is however an official Cypriot dialect but it is almost rarely spoken anymore and you can find this in old Cypriot literature.

also i have a friend who learnt anciant greek in england went 2 greece and couldent learn ther language just couldnt do it

I am assuming your friend when to Greece and couldn't learn Modern Greek?

Sorry no image available
Posted by middlesbroughfc-Nik09- - 9 years ago

lol marial thats a funny n gd question lol wud b funny 2 see lol catmeister are you cypriot or english? cypriot isnt slang its more like york(like york has alot of ther own words) also i have a friend who learnt anciant greek in england went 2 greece and couldent learn ther language just couldnt do it,he then came 2 cyprus 2 live n hes learnt the language almost as well as me,so cypriot is more like the official old greek dialect dialect if u think bout it coz ther is alot of words that are actuall cypriot words and ther would be nothing wrong with cypriot dialect coz not only is the cypriot dialect got its own words but also has turkish bits in and also with our national anthem we need something that is sed about the country and its beauty, ive sed it b4 and say it again this is cyprus not greece

Sorry no image available

I would find a Cypriot dialect anthem very funny, almost comical. I personnally dont care if they change the national anthem but not in cypriot dialect. But I do like the words to the Greek anthem, but thats another topic!

Cypriot dialect is not proper Greek, nor should it be an official language. It is slang. Similar to Cockney and English. Can you imagine the Queen speaking cockney or speaking like she was in one of the Carry-on movies?

Sorry no image available
Posted by marial-690442 - 9 years ago

HA HA HA .... LOL....Do you think they will still give us 12 points at the Eurovision if we did....LOL

Sorry no image available
Posted by marial-690442 - 9 years ago

I believe that our heritage is the same, its a hard one though as it does make sense to have our own but to be honest I dont have a problem with it. After all i do speak Greek - Cypriot and thats where it originated from!

Its not like Greece bothers to help us much either!!

Its a hard one, you really need to think about this alot in order to decide...Im still not sure as im so used to it being the same!