DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

ex pats

Posted by lynn.c - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ysgol - 9 years ago

Thank you so much but err it's in Greek and I can't read it can anyone help please.

Thank you

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chanteuse-665218 - 9 years ago

Hello

The website for adult education in Cyprus is www.moec.gov.cy/epimorfotika

They run many different courses, usually starting in October and they are very reasonably priced.

The site should give you information about the Limassol classes and centres.

Good luck,
Chanteuse

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

Achilleas is correct. Its the dialect that is different. Greek is Greek. Thousands of cypriots each year go to universities in Greece and come back to Cyprus to work.

Its like English speaking New York accent and English speaking Texas accent. They both speak english but their accents are different.

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 9 years ago

I have to disagree with one thing - the is no Greek and Cypriot Greek. The language here is Greek - just as it is in Greece, but we do have our own dialect just like Crete and Thessaloniki. If you know Greek, then EVERYONE will understand you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by coffeebean-676809 - 9 years ago

its not easy to get a job if you dont know the lingo but then its not easy to get a job in the uk even speaking english. but what makes it harder here is that its not just that you need to know greek but you need to know cyproit greek. its the same but different.
you could be one of the lucky ones who gets a job and doesnt need to use greek. but there are very few of them jobs about. and what ones there are (unless on the british bases) are not good pay. and like achilleas said if you want a good paid job you need to be able to talk to people.
like everyone says, no matter what postings you look through. do your homework before moving over. if you have something in place to come over to, a job or even family, that will make it easier. but do expect to work long hours and maybe even two jobs if you want to survive.
its not just about getting a job the cost of living here is high, depending on what you like that is. i mean its high but if you like what you know from the uk its higher again. and getting used to the heat in the summer is not as easy as coming on holiday for a week. there is more involved than just worrying about jobs.
i love cyprus and would hope not to have to move back. i have been here almost a year and got lucky with my job. when i came out all i could speak was english.and now i can, the best way to put it is communicate with people. i cant say i speak greek but i understand and speak enough to get by and every day i am learning more.
if it is something that you really want to do, move to cyprus, then think a lot about it. i would also say the same about anywhere you would like to go, make sure and think about it cause no matter how much planning you do there will always be something that you havent checked out or you are misinformed.
remeber that what people tell you here is advice through there own experinces and ideas you are the one who will decided what you do so good luck with what ever you do

Sorry no image available

you can try two ways to get this info:

1. Citizen's advice office located on the molos sea front in Limassol

2. Check the website for Cyprus Ministry of Education.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ysgol - 9 years ago

catmeister would you happen to know the language centre number in Limassol please.

Sorry no image available

There are govt run learning centers in Cyprus, where for 51euros a year they teach you greek.

Greek is the main language in Cyprus. Just like French is in France and English in England.

Sorry no image available
Posted by deefor - 9 years ago

I work for a company where every language, except Greek is sought after.
If you have English and are fluent in a foreign language - can read, write (full translations of web content & emails will be required) and be able to hold a full conversation on the telephone, contact me through the email facility on this posting.
The company is in Limassol but there are other companies here that do the same thing.
Salaries generally start at a little over €1,000 per month.

Sorry no image available
Posted by philandbev - 9 years ago

Hi, I think speaking Greek is a must to get a decent paid job in Cyprus. Do your research before you move, make sure there are vacancies in your line of expertise.
We have been planning to move for 3 years and in that time I have been learning greek, plus also been back to school to make sure I am as qualified as possible in my line of work, which is accountancy. We are not moving until 2011, but cannot wait.