DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

finding employment

Posted by ginanjohn - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tang-662317 - 8 years ago

Link to the English version of the Lidl website re job openings in Cyprus:

http://www.lidl.com.cy/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_cy/hs.xsl/index.htm

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tang-662317 - 8 years ago

Don't know if it will be any use to you but, (I agree living in Protoras is a bit of a hindrance) however, Lidls are advertising for staff in their new Larnaca operation. I will try to find the link. Not sure if they require Greek language skills.

But I don't see anyone posting a bit of REALISM as being over negative. My daughter is very skilled for finding work in England but when over here has worked for less than £2.50 an hour and been told that, even to work in a minimarket for less than that she would need Greek.

Bars, clubs and restaurants pay appalling low salaries but are a possibility for people without the local language. However, this past year, here in Larnaca, several I know have told me that business was so slow they are employing NO permanent staff, but instead relying on one or two casuals and calling them in when they need them.

There are lots of Bulgarians, Roumanians and Russians working here and they do have good Greek and English as well as their own language. The Russians in particular have told me they find it quite easy to learn the language because of the similarity in the alphabets?

As someone else mentioned earlier, I too came here thinking I wouldn't need as much dosh to get by on as I did in the UK. This turned out not to be the case (esp. after we went to the euro). So I have worked on after retiring but been lucky enough to be employed by a UK employer and paid UK wage rate.

Sometimes who you know here is more important that what you know and I would advise you to get out there and sell yourselves and speak to as many people as you can to make it known that you are desperately seeking work.

I applaud you for intending to learn the language but you won't be able to learn enough of it quickly enough to enable you to go for a job where Greek is required.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 8 years ago

Excelent post shell

Bill

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sarah_Pyrgos - 8 years ago

Shell

I totally agree with everything you have said because it is constructive. That was the point I was trying to make. I have only been here 2 months so can not comment on history but as you did we holidayed for several years and researched before coming. I would encourage anyone to live their dream however as you have said be prepared - money behind you, look at location and be prepared to take time to find a job. I also have family who moved here 3 years ago so I understand the difficulties but they are doing OK. I think most people are aware of the salaries being a lot lower but I hope most people have moved for the same reasons as us - change of lifestyle, work to live and not live to work as it is in the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shell-664379 - 8 years ago

Sarah
It's all very well to encourage people to come out to Cyprus and try their luck but they should still be aware of the pitfalls too.
When Achilleas came to Cyprus it really was a necessity for him to be able to deal with the language issues plus he would have initially have had the disadvantage of Cyprus not being a Euro zone which meant jumping through hoops to get employment and working permits.
Things are now a little easier but you will notice a lot of jobs advertise Greek speaking. Personally, I think part of this is because Cyprus is still tied to having a required number of local employees per company and should only employ a "foreigner" if they are the most suited person for the position - ie, they are the only person who has the ability and/or experience or a language necessary for the position advertised.
I've been here since early 2004 (a few months before we entered the EU) and have worked in 3 different types of positions (travel, property and on line gaming) none of which have been necessary to speak Greek.
However, in the property industry it was helpful that I had already had 6 months of lessons prior to leaving the UK and could read and write Greek. The dialect is different in Cyprus but the schools all teach Modern Greek so the local people understand Greek rather than what the ignoramuses amongst us call "Cypriot" as there is no such language. I also continued with private Greek lessons for 6 months after arriving in Cyprus. I'm not much further along and lack of vocabulary is more of an issue but I can get by if necessary. Sadly, I don't get much chance to use the language in my line of work.
Newcomers have to understand they have no given right to be offered work nor should they expect it because they are English. We are not going to welcomed with open arms nor are employers going to fall over themselves to give us a job. You have to keep applying and hope the right position for you comes along.
It should also be noted that anyone coming here to seek work should be aware of the low salaries in comparison for similar positions back in UK and that it will take time to find a job, firstly in the right kind of employment industry and secondly that the working day is very different in Cyprus and often involves split shifts.
Transport is a must and the position may necessitate travelling to and from work more than once a day. All this has to be taken into consideration and therefore, immigrants should ensure they bring enough funds to tide them over for at least 12 months in case a job is not forthcoming as soon as they start looking.
From my point of view, it's better to realise the whole picture before making the move. I was holidaying in Cyprus 2 or 3 times a year for the last 3yrs before I moved permanently and was a regular visitor for 15yrs before that. The last 3yrs involved visiting different locations on the island, testing driving times, looking at rental prices and asking as many questions as possible. It helped that we also had Cypriot friends who gave us great insight.
At least with a forum such as this, the Cyprus wannabe's can ask all the right questions before they set foot on this fabulous island!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sarah_Pyrgos - 8 years ago

This is astounding. Whatever happened to encouraging people. Now we criticise the very people whose country we choose to live in. Nothing is ever perfect but at least they are trying. How can you even begin to criticise the young Cypriots for their lack of English. I have to say we English are the laziest at learning other languages and we do assume that everyone can speak English. However I will again point out that Gina and John have not said they will not learn. I think some people are missing the point. They asked where they can find jobs and some of us have offered advice. It will not be easy but there are jobs out there. AndrewMoni you are a prime example that there are some jobs out there.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yoshik - 8 years ago

I do not think that anybody is disputing the obvious. Greek is the language of the country. However to criticise the Greeks fir their lack of English is at best sardonic.

The arrogance of the English regarding linguistic ability is astounding. It might be summed up as "English is the international language and the language of business, so why should we be multi-lingual?" The young Greeks here speak far better English than most English youngsters speak French/German/Italian because we still take the view of linguistic superiority.

How many Brits can speak their own language properly? When I read reports or indeed listen to some speaking on television I am horrified. The accents are killing the language and the use of words such as "hanged" as opposed to "hung" is reprehensible.

Lets not mock others. My wife, who is Russian, was this week talking with Mancunians, and had a dreadful time understanding them. The accent kills the English, whereas my wife speaks with an accent that has been gained from myself. She is proud she speaks The Queens English for that is what is correct.

Can I ask how long you have been here? Your willingness to learn Greek is commendable but allow me to say that not all can or ever will achieve a good standard. It took me some 4 years of living in Russia to get close to understanding a conversation and another 6 years to be able to lecture in Russian. Greek is equally as difficult as Russian, but a little at a time is nothing to be ashamed of.

In respect of TOEFL yes I agree. The level of tutoring here is the same as I have experienced in Russia. They use old methods, have poor pronunciation, believe Shakesperean language is still used in England and think "gay" means happy and cheerful. Its current connotation passes them by! We Englsih make poor teachers of grammar as this seems to have missed the national curriculum, but in terms of vocabulary, colloquialisms and vernacular English only a native can assist. The Greeks as do other countries need to accept that they MUST use native teachers.

However back to the original subject. Greek is not a pre-requisite to work here as some are insisting, but it sure as hell will open up, is a great asset to have.

Σας επιθυμώ όλοι καλά στις προσπάθειές σας να μάθετε τα ελληνικά αλλά δεν είναι το τέλος της ζωής στη Κύπρο εάν δεν μπορείτε!

Sorry no image available
Posted by AndrewMoni - 8 years ago

I agree with Achilleas - Greek IS the language of the country - and a good command is required for the majority of jobs. I recently managed to get a job through this forum which did not demand Greek as a pre-requisite. In practice I am finding this lack of knowledge a considerable hindrance even though the job is in a mainly English speaking environment. The number of greek conversations going on around me is most frustrating, the number of greek telephone callers is considerable etc etc.

What is also not true is to say that the majority of the young speak English - this is simply incorrect. In my experience - the job entails contact with students - those who have been educated in England are fine but many many others have no knowledge at all. Cypriots who were educated some time ago - now I would imagine to be aged over 50 - are far more likely to have a good knowledge of English (no doubt as a result of the island's historical links to the UK prior to independance). The current young are not in the same position and many are not taught English or have a level comparable to an Englishman's 'schoolboy French'.

As a side note to this thread though I do think there is a need for English Language teachers here on the island as I find that even those who claim to speak English (which is a pre-requisite for students where I work) have a level of English which is so low as to be almost laughable. I find myself wondering just how on earth they manage to comprehend the lessons!! Talking to the instructors has revealed that their written work is frequently as equally sub-standard as the verbal.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yoshik - 8 years ago

Sarah_Pyrgos & nicOlas

Thank you for the sensible and supportive posts you have both written. Thess in my view should typify why these forums exist. TO HELP AND SUPPORT and not to denigrate.

Yes by living where they have chosen the OPs have limited themselves a little, but travel here is not difficult. I travel daily to Nicosia from Limasol and never does it take more than an hour. I recall my days of traveling from Winchester to London by car daily when some days I could be driving, or at least in the car, for 2 1/2 hours.

This is a great island, and despite so many negative posts, full of nice people. The Cypriots are friendly, want to share and although I do agree that some areas could be cleaner all around where I live we have no problems. My sadness is over the ill treatment of animals, but one should remember that limited to here. If it was then the RSPCA would be redumdant.

I trust that the positive people who post here continue to far outweigh the negative as these are the ones whose outlook on life will benefit all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nic0las - 8 years ago

Hi Gina. I have been in Cyprus over 4 years now and have been fortunate enough to be employed since then, my husband however has struggled but is now employed again. I have very little greek as my job is English Speaking. I do intend to continue my lessons again in winter as it is advantageous and I would like to know the language as you would. I also live 10 mins outside Limassol so middle of island and handy. Apply for everything and anything that you think you can do and hopefully something will come up for you. It's a beautiful country and the sun shines most days. Best of luck to you both.