DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

From France to Cyprus

Posted by cowpie - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by DanO-682696 - 8 years ago

Fair enough - I was just wondering.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cowpie - 8 years ago

Thanks for the info stellaluna.

And Dano we are leaving France because the land we have is getting too much to look after and we need the money , so if we are selling up we decided to try somewhere new.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DanO-682696 - 8 years ago

Sorry to be nosey - but why are you leaving France?

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 8 years ago

Hi

When we came here 20 years ago we rented in Limassol. We had to move about five times. There was no peace.

We bought a big piece of land (about 10 acres) about 7 km from Limassol and have lived here in bliss for 14 years now. You need to be isolated like us, or very lucky indeed if you are near others.

Apartments are a no-no - neighbours clomping around above you with pit boots, shouting etc. Dogs tied up and barking all the time - and these awful scooters/cars with special roaring exhausts.

And avoid tourist areas at all costs unless you enjoy hell. Hope that helps - we are very happy with our place. Of course, there are the hunters and regularly starving dogs have to be dealt with but nothing's perfect

Sorry no image available
Posted by cowpie - 9 years ago

Thanks for honest postings , it is refreshing to read the postings so far.

I look forward to some positive ones , or are you keeping the good stuff to yourselves ? ;)

Sorry no image available
Posted by fillipe - 9 years ago

Hi,

I have to say that i agree with Bill's previous postings. I live opposite the salt lake in Larnaca, on the quiet side of the lake, near Kamares. Even the fact that my road is a cul-de-sac and i have a salt lake opposite me, i still have noise, at night, from bikes, cars, cats, dogs and the binmen!!! Oh.... and not to mention the huge palm trees being chopped a 6am !!!

Very wise move, renting, because it takes a while to establish whether one can live in Cyprus or not. Unfortunately, i bought an apartment so i need to sell before i can leave the country.

I am sure there are some nice, quiets areas and other positives to living in Cyprus. But..... there are alot of negatives too!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

I live in what can be decribed as a predominatly Cypriot area on the edge of Larnaca town ( 10 mins walk to the beach front) it looked really quiet when we first looked at it but turned out to be not so quiet in reality now we live here .

we also have problems of noise from feral cats fighting during the night~ twice now I've got up and walked down the street as the cats sometimes sound like a woman/ girl screaming for help.

As I said before I tend to roll over and go back to sleep now as I've got used to it all.

The only thing that worries me now are the earth quakes which thankfully aren't very strong or very often .

Bill

Sorry no image available

Thanks Bill&eva , you did not say where you live ...it sounds like we can rule it out. (hee hee)

As you say we are booked into Paphos for two weeks , but we do not rule out a one night stay in an area we like the look of.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bill&eva - 9 years ago

noisy bikes (and cars ) can be found all over Cyprus .

the problem can be found mostly if you are on or very near a main road for cars and in the villages for both supercharged cars and noisy scooters (scooters often riden by under age kids )

There is someone that rides his trails bike down our street most nights at around 3 am ~~ it's very loud and wakes everybody up ~~ it seems he goes up and down every street in the area with the sole intent of waking everybody up.

we also have the noisy bin men come round at about that time too ( three times a week )

I'm afraid Cyprus can be a very noisy place to live ~~ there's also often problems in the more rural areas with barking dogs ~~ I'm afraid that spending two weeks at a hotel in the tourist area does not prepare you or give a indication of what it's like to actually live here ~~ there are I suppose some quiet areas and no doubt someone will post a positive response about the area they live in .

I'm quite fortunate as I can be woken up by the noise and go straight back to sleep

Bill

Sorry no image available

Thanks Johnners , I hear what you say re Paphos , but this is just a first look for us , I do not expect to find what we want on our first visit , just to get a feel for Cyprus.

We definitely want somewhere quiet .

After reading Belinda`s post re the ambulance service , should I be put off.