DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

greek dialect/cypriot dialect?

Posted by sfield1023 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

Learn Modern Greek. If you want to use this later on for work, businesses will take you more serious if you speak modern greek.

Cypriot is something you will pick up slowly. My mother tongue is English, I learned Modern Greek first at school and learned Cypriot thru everyday speaking.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cypruswez - 9 years ago

The U.K. has a plethora of dialects and accents. But it is all based on the English language.

The Greek language is similar, but evolution subtly changes things.

One common denominator?

The law, Government, Education. all use Greek, school book Greek.

In the U.K, Government, Education, all use school book English.

Long live difference. How boring if we were all the same.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stellaluna-664983 - 9 years ago

Of course if you learn modern Greek Cypriots will understand you, but the thing is - you won't understand them. Sorry Achilleas, I've been here 20 years and people speak Cypriot dialect.

My sister-in-law when speaking to me speaks in 'proper' Greek and I understand her fine. But when Cypriots are together they converse very fast in Cypriot dialect and also 'swallow' lots of the words.

Good luck anyway.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cypruswez - 9 years ago

Good luck with learning Greek. It is a wonderful language and it's influence can be seen in many countries. Many words are derived from Greek.

I would recommend you learn to read and write Greek, as opposed to opting for a 'conversational' course.

Being able to use a Greek dictionary, or read a sign is invaluable, and worth a few extra hours of study.

Stick with it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CanCyp - 9 years ago

Everything Achilleas said is right; learn 'proper' Greek and everyone will understand you...wishing you all the best in learning our very rich language.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sfield1023 - 9 years ago

thank you for this information, i will act on it, and learn modern greek, as is taught in all cyprus

Sorry no image available
Posted by achilleas - 9 years ago

It is VERY simple. The language of Cyprus is Greek. Just as they speak in Athens, Crete, Thessaloniki, etc.
If you learn and speak Modern Greek, then EVERYONE in Cyprus will understand you - if they don't then they are playing stupid. Modern Greek is the language that is taught in ALL the schools in the Republic of Cyprus and it is the official language of the Republic.
Cypriot Greek, just like the Greek spoken in Crete, up in Thessaloniki, on the Greek islands, etc., is a dialect of Greek, just as the English spoken in Newcastle is a dialect of English. Athenians have just as much trouble with the Greek of Crete as they do with that of Cyprus.
For example ... the word for "and" is "και" (keh), but here in Cyprus it's pronounced "τζε" (ts-eh).
It's very frustrating and ridiculous to see people here insisting that Cypriot is a different language and here in Cyprus we only speak Cypriot and not Greek - that is just plain wrong - the language is Greek.