DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Greek lessons needed

Posted by Louna-699912 - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Louna-699912 - 8 years ago

Thank you all for your help! I found now a great qualified cypriot teacher. She teaches private or small groups. She seems very organised since she uses some books with all the grammar and the vocabulary as this is the most proper and professional way to learn a language.

If any of you want her contact details please let me know.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JANER-696595 - 8 years ago

We have been having lessons with a greek lady in Paphos who is excellent. She lived in UK as a child so speaks excellent english too. She is teaching us "Cypriot Greek". She tailors her lessons to her students requirements. While we have been learning "at our pace" she has taught another student who now speaks fluent greek for his job.

I can not recommend her too highly she is an excelent teacher, very patient and good humoured.

If you would like further information let me know.

Jane

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

Hi again Louna,

I totally agree you must not rely on downloaded courses and books. That's why we were eager to get out into the real world and practice speaking Greek. It was a great way to meet people and become part of the community. As with any language there are variations but these are overcome by meeting and talking to people who, in the main, are happy to help.

Johnners

Sorry no image available

Hi Snooze, is she Cypriot? I would like a local teacher that can help with the pronounciation.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Snooze-689425 - 8 years ago

Hi Louna
Please call 99812292 and ask for Lisa
This is her fathers mobile I think but he will give you her number
She is excellent

Sorry no image available

Hi Johners, thanks for your help. I will do that but I also want to have help from a tutor. A friend of mine was learning by sites and books by his own and he ended up making a lot of mistakes in the pronounciation. The locals could not understand what he was saying and he could not make a conversation.

Thanks anyway!

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnners-660966 - 8 years ago

Hi Louna,

I can't offer any suggestions for Greek lessons in Paphos but go to this website www.byki.com and download their Greek tutorial. This is how my wife and I started to learn the language. Once you have the basics go out into Paphos and listen to conversations, then try going into some shops and having a go at buying something speaking your basic Greek. We found the Cypriots really appreciated us having a go and after a while they helped us too.

We can both now hold our own in conversations spoken entirely in Greek. We still come across words and phrases that don't always make sense but, again, our Cypriot friends help translate and explain. Much the same as we do for them when they encounter a strange English phrase.

Johnners