DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

growing tomatoes.

Posted by desagun - Created: 8 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anna007 - 8 years ago

Sorry I butted in on your page Desagun, thanks to you I know more about growing tomatoes than I did before. Happy Gardening:)

Sorry no image available
Posted by desagun - 8 years ago

Thank you Graham for the helpful advice re toms. So I will be planting beans various types and mange tout peas. Thank you again. De.

Sorry no image available

Thanks so much Graham S, being in the Cyprus climate has helped me with wanting to grow my own even tho' the veg is cheap here in season. For some reason the tomatoes actually tasted nicer freshly picked!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 8 years ago

Pinching out (removing flowering stems) is something you do to stop the tomatoes producing more fruit than you can use or than the plant can sustain. The usual practice is to remove weak sideshoots, then when the main stem of the plant has developed 7 trusses of tomatoes pinch out the growing tip above the highest truss of set fruit to stop the plant wasting its energy on growing any higher than you need. Don't worry about whether the flowers are male or female - after all, you need both to produce tomatoes! Just keep them watered regularly, don't let them dry out or get waterlogged, and feed with a commercial tomato feed and you'll be fine - they're dead easy, especially in the Cyprus climate.

Sorry no image available

Hi, I just learnt something, thanks.
Could you tell me when the tomato plant flowers which flower should you take off as my late Father always told me there was a male and a female but I can't remember which one he took off in order for the tomatoes to grow. So far they have just got on with producing tomatoes but not much care from me!
Would like to get it right next time. Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by Graham S - 8 years ago

The conventional wisdom in crop rotation is that where a plot has been used for a crop of the potato family (and that includes tomatoes & aubergines) you follow with a legume - peas, beans etc - which will help to replenish the nitrogen. A more modern school of thought says that as long as you feed the soil adequately and preapre it thoroughly you can grow crops from the same family for several years in succession. Depends on how much work you want to do on your soil and how much you want to spend on fertilisers and nutrients. If you're thinking of growing beans in that spot anyway, then you're exactly on the right lines.

Graham