DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Hair raiser - chase 8 against 1

Posted by die5-688335 - Created: 9 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anna007 - 9 years ago

I am saddened to read about these awful events which have happened to people here in Cyprus. How things have changed...,however, I think you should all write a letter to the British Consulate in Nicosia and state what is going on in Cyprus. As part of the EU they are obligated to investigate these crimes. Yes, I know the attitude of the Police is one of who you know where you know,get away with the crime,but times are changing for them too and the more people who stand up against these people now will make it better for all of us together. Cyprus is small enough to change,sadly other countries are too far gone.

The Police have been used to a sleepy and corrupt way of life but will have to accept that they have a job to do,and they need to be educated too as crime has never been this bad here for them,so they are learning. We are far advanced and therefore have the foresight on how things are going. As yet, they are still in denial and we have to make them realise what is going on.You must report any incident even if you feel it's too late.Just explain you didn't think they would bother but if you tell them you are writing to all the top heads of Cyprus and including your own country's media,they will take it up as they do not want any more bad press.

Sorry no image available
Posted by catmeister212 - 9 years ago

there is corrupt police everywhere all over the world.

Crime is everywhere too, unfortunately Cyprus is not immune to crime either (sadly)

if your husband has not reported it most likely the police wont take him seriously because today is tues and the incident happened on Sunday. They will question why he waited so long.

Make sure when you husband drives home that there aren't any cars following him back to his house. These guys didnt succeed and gangs prefer to finish their tasks. This is why he should have gone to the police to report the incident when it happened. Because should it happen again, the police already have an original report where they did nothing about it and the second time they will get into alot of trouble for not doing anything the first time.

I would report any incident when it happens regardless whether you choose to press charges or not. You can ask them to keep a note of their car plates and of the incident should this happen again so they are aware that there is a gang attacking people at night. This definately sounds like an organised gang and they will do this again.

I also think the news would be interested in organised crime gangs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by die5-688335 - 9 years ago

Police in Cyprus........
Problem is, if you report something to the local police, you never know, if there is a connection -coincidentally- between the policeman and the suspect........
If yes -as far as I'm concerned- I would be in fear for us and our dogs!

Sorry no image available
Posted by harisv - 9 years ago

You, and anyone that has these things happening to them should report them to the police, otherwise nothing will ever change. If you thing that the police is not taking the matter seriously, write a letter to the police (repeating the story and inquiring the police's actions) and CC newspapers and other authoritities in Cyprus and Europe. If everyone is doing that, at some point they will have to do something.

Sorry no image available

Over ten years ago I was assulted with a friend on the road in the mountains one evening. There was loads of traffic going down to Limassol but not one person stopped to help us, they all looked but no-one bothered to find out what was going on. A guy cut us off and when we stopped to find out what happened he jumped out of his car opened the car door of my friend and started hitting her saying "young girls should not be allowed to drive". We were both caught in our seat belts, my friend went into shock, but when I finally freed myself I started shouting and yelling, "I have my mobile, and Im calling the police. I have your license plates and Im going to get my brother to find you and he will do more than slap you!" With those words he sped off. I had no idea who this man was or where he came from. We drove to the local police station who were in fact quite relaxed about it, until I got my dad to come down to the station. I gave the mans car plates and after a few phone calls they discovered who he was and that he was a bit of a psycho and on the run from loan sharks and was living/hiding up in the mountains.

The police said we could press charges which will take years for it to go to court or we can settle it the "cypriot way" and they will turn a blind eye. (E-mail me if you want to know what that is.) Eventually the man put his tail between his legs and apologized!

That year i was traumatized from driving at night. The policeman said pepper spray is illegal in Cyprus and should I use it even to save myself I could get arrested. So I carry a mini can of hair spray which should work just as good.

Sorry no image available

Agree with you Tricky! The behaviour of the police in this country does not let you trust in the authority!
We reported the incident this morning, especially because some other people wrote, that similar things happened to them. We told also told that to the police. Can't be a coincidence, that it always happend on the road between Paphos and Timi!!??
Forgot to say, the police didn't seem to take the incident seriously!
My husband really tried to give them a kick in the a......., but I think he was not really able to draw interest.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tricky-674129 - 9 years ago

just read the other posts to you ..... concerning driving to a police station ...... what a joke ... my daughters accident happened 2 mins drive from cop shop yet it took them one and half hours to arrive on scene....... and this is not abnormal

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tricky-674129 - 9 years ago

I can very well believe it cos my story will sound unbelievable ......my daughter, who works 3 evenings in a bar in Limassol (to make ends meet ) was driving home when a BMW ran a red light causing a crash ...... my daughter escaped with her passenger after air bags did the job to assist BMW driver whose petrol tank had been breached .... she dragged the two teenagers out of BMW ... a witness who was driving behind my daughter saw everything and waited with her and passenger for police to arrive on scene .... meantimw BMW drivers boyfriend arrived ...... beat hell out of witness and my daughters passenger.... my daughter was frantically calling police to inform them of assault taking place ........ they kept hanging up .... (cut a long story short) eventually cops arrived and can anyone adam an eve it .... they would not take statement from witness who had been assaulted by boyfriend of BMW driver ..... my daughter was taken to police station and breathalised (negligble) BMW driver o.t.t. at 90 .... my daughters car is a write off and will not get full claim due to " no witness " I am so angry with lapsidasicle attitude of police in this country ..........

Sorry no image available

He could have driven straight into the police station. that would have got their attention.

Sounds like this was a planned car jack. Most likely they were looking to rob him. Its xmas, unemployment is up as is crime these days. he needs to report this because next time the victim could be a woman.

Sorry no image available

Forgot to say, that my husband passed the police station twice during the chase. He tooted like hell, but no one reacted!The whole thing lasted for more than half an hour, most of the time in the middle of Paphos town!
It made quite a lot of noise, the men reved the engines and drove with jaring hoobs, so did my husband!
We haven't been to the police yet because we query whether that would get anywhere, but we are still thinking about it.